Youth Bow

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
6yo boy, just out grew a Bear Brave (draw length is 2-3" too short), what's a great next bow? Any and all advice, good or bad is welcomed. Now that we're teaching 1st grade at my house, the principal (me) has introduced a strict archery regimen into PE along with pull ups/chin ups and running.

nicapopolis

Your boy has one heck of a principle I’m not much help as my daughter always shit a recurve
That would hurt to shit a recurve...

AS,

My son is 5 and for his birthday we bought him a Diamond Atomic. They are bad ass for the little guys. It is basically an adult bow shrunk down. It can take most of the accessories that the adult bows can.

I did a ton on research and we settled on this one. It seems most of the other youth bows are "You get what you get"... the fact that we can customize this one as he grows was a huge selling point for us. Many kids are shooting these in competition. You can find some good threads online of guys customizing these for their kids.

BIGCIM

Get him a Diamond edge or a blackout intrigue for BPS. They can be adjusted to grow with the child through adulthood. Thats what my kids shoot.

nicapopolis

Get him a Diamond edge or a blackout intrigue for BPS. They can be adjusted to grow with the child through adulthood. Thats what my kids shoot.
What age did your kids start? Those are too large for my son at 5 years old which is why we went with the Atomic. The Atomic is less than 2 lbs with a much smaller frame.

2rocky

I've still got the girl's Martin Leopard in the garage

Martin Leopard Specifications
Brace Height7.1 "
Draw Length21 " - 26 "
Draw Weight30 lbs - 60 lbs
IBO Speed282 fps - 287 fps
Weight3.35 lbs

Ambush

Principal AS,

The pupil got a obsession hashtag last year. But we waited till he would fit a youth bow first. Shot recurve till then.

Heres what a 12 year old can do in the youth opener.20200322_084353.jpg

Last edited:

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Thanks Guys! Gonna look into the Diamond bows mentioned above. John, gonna keep yours in mind, too bad I won't be seeing you next month. Race got cancelled!

BIGCIM

What age did your kids start? Those are too large for my son at 5 years old which is why we went with the Atomic. The Atomic is less than 2 lbs with a much smaller frame.
My kids are 11 and 14 now but I think they started at like 7-8 ish on real bows. Before that they had a Bear scout and a Bear Warrior III compound. All those were more like toys though.
YMMV

BIGCIM

I just checked, it looks as if BPS changed the specs on the Intrigue. It used to be a lot more kid friendly. Its what my 11 year old daughter shoots. I got it for her a few years back.