Wyoming Elk Hunt - Public

Reaction score
Was lucky enough to kill a really nice Elk in the WY mountains!

This was a 7 day, public land elk hunt on horseback in the Wyoming mountains. Didn’t see any elk until day 3, bumped a few bulls bedded down and they busted out almost instantly – no chance. Day 5 spent first half of the day at camp waiting out the snow that was reducing visibility considerably. Then went out around two to see if there had been any movement or if we could spot any Elk. Found some fresh tracks and followed em for a while. Wound up in some almost impassible areas and then spotted an Elk chest through the heavy trees maybe 80yds. Jumped off my horse and got em in my scope, couldn’t tell if it was a bull or cow due to the tiny window through the branches/trees. As it spun to it’s right I caught a flash of horns and I immediately squeezed the trigger of my 300 Weatherby Win Magnum. Rode to the spot where the Elk had been and I saw 7 elk beds and 5 sets of tracks outta there. No blood, hair or any sign of wound/impact, one of the tracks did “jump” with some dirt kicked up… indication of likely a hit. Decided to focus on this set of tracks, followed em for a bit uphill, then downhill … no blood anywhere. Given it was getting late at this point, and with an hour+ ride back to camp decided to mark the GPS with the location and start the trek back to camp. In the morning I picked up the trail where I left off, and a couple hundred yards found a nice bull dead in his bed. The bullet was stopped by his shoulder and there was not even blood where he was laying. Day 6 was cutting and packing back to camp. Such a tough, yet rewarding hunt… prayer, patience and persistence is everything.

Check out some nice gear here: https://outeracres.com/ !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 12.22.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 12.22.41 AM.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 15

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
To bad you had to wait until the next day to find your Elk but the cold temps. may be the saving grace. Game start to decay as soon as they die and the cold will slow that process down. I personally know a guy who lost all he venison because he shot it about 1 hour before dark. He was not able to find it that night so he went back the next day and found it about 11 AM. The overnight temps did not get below 50 and it was already up to 65 when he found it. The meat was already kind of rank and the deer was well bloated. He was advised by butcher not to bother having it processed, meat was too far gone and he agreed. His bad luck, normally in late Nov. in northern Wis. its well into the 20's at night but not that year. He said next time he will spend all night looking for his kill. He did get a nice 4x4 white tail rack out of it.

Reaction score
Ooof that's no good! Was definitely worried but it was plenty cold / below freezing at night and hardly any sun where he lay. Definitely the likely saving grace! Yea you'd think Northern Wis would be much colder that time of year. Always good to get a rack too though I suppose! :D