Who likes to fly fish and where?

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
I do most of my Trout flyfishing in the Eastern Sierras.

Hot Creek, Lower Owens River, Crowley Lake and several honey holes.

Cloak N Dagger

Reaction score
I do most of my flyfishin' in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I prefer fishing small streams and creeks. A few of them you can literally jump across. Lots of Rhododendron and Laurel grow along the streams and it takes some tight work for casting. Rainbows, browns ... and my favorite .... native brookies!

Some of my favorites streams:

Fox Creek
Big Wilson Creek
Little Wilson Creek
Helton Creek
Cripple Creek
South Holston River
Dickey's Creek
Tennesee Laurel
Whitetop Laurel
Elk Creek
Wilburn Branch
Mill Creek
Roaring Fork

And my absolute favorite ...... Big Tumbling Creek! ( I wish I could say these first two pics were mine, but I borrowed them from Ingram Photography)

Attachments

• BigTumbling12.jpg
    BigTumbling12.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 27
  • BigTumblin0011.jpg
    BigTumblin0011.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Btcreek.jpg
    Btcreek.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 25

cduck

Reaction score
I like flyfishing for steelhead in the Northern Ocean going rivers. My favorite is the Klamath about 28 miles inland from the mouth up in the Six Rivers National Forest. We used to have a creek in Pacifica called pedro creek that went behind my Godparents house that got 4 and 5 pound steelies in it!

Like Steve, I also like to fish the Eastern Sierras. Same places and a few more.

My dream of course is to fish with Cloak back in the Blue Ridge and cap it off with a Mark's Bib-Overall Breakfast!!! Some day Mark............. someday!!!

nemo

Reaction score
hi i'm new here and i'm from Utah..i do fly-fishing at the Green river. always having a great time..but recently the river has been flooded so i'l wait for some time to fish again :smiley_10sign:
njoy fishing!

-->nemo

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Nemo!

I here Utah has some great fishing. I went Elk hunting in Fort Ducharm (Ute Indian Reservation) and never got a chance to fish. I did see some excellent looking areas though.

nemo

Reaction score
yup the green river i the best we have for fly fishing..you can also check out the provo..
Thanks for the welcome!!
njoy!

-->nemo

yotegetter

Reaction score
Eastern Sierras....I used to fish Piru Creek, until those %$^&*(@ frogs were dying and it was closed off!

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
We're headed to one of my favorite Eastern Sierra fly fishing areas on the 27th of this month. It's a hike in area with a total of 8 lakes that have brookies and goldens. Trevor is at the age that he can hike a ways w/out complaining.

I need to start tying some nymphs and streamers :smiley-clappin-yellow:

bluemel8

Reaction score
I spent most of my childhood summers in the June Loop area. Grandma loved to fish there and i took to it pretty hard. I still hit the loop every summer, but have in recent years fished Virginia lakes, Convict, and Twin Lakes more than June. Rush Creek has always been productive for us, and the Virginia Trail lakes are a favorite for the adventure of just getting there.

In the 40+ years of fishing up there, I have never tried Fly fishing. I think when i retire i will invest in a rig and spend some serious time on it.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
SSB welcome to TOF.

In the 40+ years of fishing up there, I have never tried Fly fishing. I think when i retire i will invest in a rig and spend some serious time on it.
If you want to give it a try, I would suggest hiring a guide. If you hire a good one you'll learn a lot and you'll know whether you want to invest in all the gear. It's addictive.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
PS.. Steve, you don't bring me flowers anymore. ) :
You dont sing me love songs...

bluemel8

Reaction score
SSB welcome to TOF.

If you want to give it a try, I would suggest hiring a guide. If you hire a good one you'll learn a lot and you'll know whether you want to invest in all the gear. It's addictive.

Thanks Pitdog, TOF is a great site!

casprig

Reaction score
QUOTE (pitdog @ Dec 5 2005, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1047
I do most of my Trout flyfishing in the Eastern Sierras.

Hot Creek, Lower Owens River, Crowley Lake and several honey holes.

Pitdog, go to the Upper Sac. River about 10 miles south of Dunsmuir. On I-5 north (appx. 45 miles past Lake Shasta) in between the LaMoine exit and Sims Rd. exit there are small dirt roads off the highway. You have to be quick and careful but worth it. Some of the most beautiful water in the world. I have the turn offs on my g.p.s. if you're ever interested.

Here is a pic. of a small sample. Good luck to you Pitdog.

Attachments

• DSC00149.JPG
    DSC00149.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 23

madhunter

Reaction score
I mostly fly fish the Shaver, Huntington, and Edison areas of Fresno County. Like the wild bows and small brookies. Love the browns and goldens.

Reaction score
I fly fish anywhere and any time I can.

I really like fishing for the Smallies and large mouths in the canals down by the Salton Sea. I enjoy the local streams here in San Bernardino, the streams are small but at times you can hook up with decent fish. I fished a local stream with my son last night and landed a 16 inch local wild rainbow.

The Sierras is a given, get a mile off the beaten path at any of the water ways and your almost certain to land quality fish.

dfhall

Reaction score
QUOTE (SSB @ Sep 13 2007, 11:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=100509
I spent most of my childhood summers in the June Loop area. Grandma loved to fish there and i took to it pretty hard. I still hit the loop every summer, but have in recent years fished Virginia lakes, Convict, and Twin Lakes more than June. Rush Creek has always been productive for us, and the Virginia Trail lakes are a favorite for the adventure of just getting there.

I have drowned a few flies in all those lakes, love that country.

I started fly fishing a couple or 35 years ago in Whatcom and Skagit counties Wa. where I lived. Nooksack, Skagit rivers, Whatcom, Baker and Tomahoi lakes Anyone fish there you know what I'm talking about!

Fly fishing is a kick but I am partial to dry flies and topwater action. I am no purist if the fish are down I'm spinning!
My latest is to take Albacore on a fly.

upper

Reaction score
I once saw a fly fisherman that had a fish tag necklace.It was nice............Upper

Modoc

Reaction score
Getting back into beating the water into submission ;). Right now, I am fishing the Upper Sac, Hat Creek and some of the other tributaries of the Pit River since they are local. I have also gotten on to some small local ponds with a bass popper for some awesome top water action.