Which Black Powder Gun do You Hunt with?

Which one do you hunt with?

• Flintlock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sidelock Percussion

• In-Line

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other (matchlock, etc)

• Total voters

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
I have the standard side lock nothing fancy but it shure shoots good out to a 100 yards or so which is all that I look for :smiley-cool-shades-down: 54 cal 85 grtains of pyrodex and barns x sabot

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
I bought a .50cal Knight in-line last year and I have not taken it out of the box yet. :smiley-cool-shades-down:

I plan on drawing a NM bull tag (Muzzy season) this year :smiley-shakehead-blue: , so I better get some practice.

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Reaction score
I have a CVA pro optima it is an inline and I personaly think it's a piece of junk I have had sight problems with it from the get go.I know what your thinking don't go there :smiley-cool-shades-down: But I did manage to take a nice fork with it a couple years back,he sure did taste good. :smiley-shakehead-blue:

Just from what I've been reading it seems like knight makes a good shooter.

Fred

FForF

Reaction score
Cabela's Hawkins 54 sidelock percussion. Trying to find a good sabot load for it now.

Just ordered the material for this load:

Bullet: Hornady .452 XTP Mag.

Powder: (110) grns. Shockleys OR American Powder (BP substitutes)

Sabot: MMP 54/.451-.452 cal.

Primer: Remington

Was just told to be carful using the American Powder with a patent breech. "It's granulation is noticiably larger than other ffg's. The APP fffg has a larger granulation than other fffg's too, and even the APP fffg is not too much finer than regular ffg. The larger ffg APP granulation is more acceptable for use in an inline maybe, but definitely not recommended in a sidelock with less direct ignition."

Anybody heard of this before?

Anybody have a good sabot load out there for my old Hawkins 54 with medium twist?

Have been shooting the T/C Mag Express XTP's with limited success.
http://www.tcarms.com/store/index.php/acti...33/prevstart/0/

FForF

Reaction score
I bought a .50cal Knight in-line last year and I have not taken it out of the box yet. :beer-toast:

I plan on drawing a NM bull tag (Muzzy season) this year :beer-toast: , so I better get some practice.

Hey Steve,
I might be haeading out this weekend to do some shooting with my ML and 30.06. Got the full setup, bench, lead sled shooting rest, spotting scope, target stand, etc. I'll be trying different loads in my old Hawkins. Let me know if you want to join me.

antlrcolectr

Reaction score
Dang I looked at the flashy thing and now I can't remember :beer-toast:

No actually I have a .45 cal CVA Kentucky Longrifle. My brother bought it as a kit for me for christmas in like '83 when I was big into woodworking. Well, after I ordered the parts I lost, over seven years, I finally got it put together in like '90. I've killed a few mulies and whitetails with it, and a couple of prarie dogs. :beer-toast:
With 95g of pyrodex, open sights, and patch and .440 ball I'm very very accurate out to 90 yards... 115 is pushing it.

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
I have a bottom end CVA, but I'm looking at the Triumph as my next .50.

Muzzy season here looks inviting!

denis

Reaction score
Fred, i also have the cva altima pro. changed the peep sites and also 3 of my friends. 5 deer now taken in Utah.I hated the old ones also.for open sites the only way to go..

FForF

Reaction score

Hey Zach. just bought the Triumph and taking it out this weekend. I'll post up how it does.

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Reaction score
Thanks denis I'll give them a try. What bullets do you use? I was using the power belts, and do you use loose powder or the pyrodex pellets.
Thanks for the heads up. I have been pretty discouraged with it up to this point.

FForF

Reaction score
I have the standard side lock nothing fancy but it shure shoots good out to a 100 yards or so which is all that I look for :afraid_face: 54 cal 85 grtains of pyrodex and barns x sabot

Hey Skeet,
What is the twist in your .54? Mine is 1 in 28 and I can't get a sabot to shoot out of it. To slow of twist.

denis

Reaction score
777 pellets 150 grain. 270 grain platinum, power belts. there nasty. easy going into the gun and consistent

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Reaction score
777 150grn :afraid_face: I'll give it a try :beer-toast: Do you have the fluted barrel?

Thanks for the reply :16:

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score

Hey Zach. just bought the Triumph and taking it out this weekend. I'll post up how it does.
Michael, looking forward to the review.

hank4elk

Reaction score
I'm a FNG with a new TC Omega/wNikon Omega and will be trying out this year! If I'm lucky.

TonyS

Reaction score
T/C Omega, 90 gr. BH209, 250 gr copper w/ sabots. Iron sights. Two years ago I harvested a buck at 156 yds.