when does a jake become a gobbler

steveo007

just looking for some info,when does a jake become a gobbler,such as years,physical characteristics,or any other info you'd like to share.

JNDEER

Not 100% a's I think some opinions can very.

Jake- small beard, small to no spur, not a full fan.

Tom- medium to full beard, medium to large spur, full fan.

ilovesprig

2 years, give or take a month.
Steve,

That is pretty much it.......Physical characteristics different on each bird partially dependent on where he lives and when it was born (early or late).........Lots of 2 year olds this year.......I've seen them with 9 1/2" beards and the barely 7 ".........Full fans can be seen on jakes. If they have molted the 8th time. All 2 year olds will have full fans.......Spur length on a jake is rarely much more than a nub......I've shot 2 longbeards without spurs at all.

Pics....Older jakes and younger 2 year old toms.

Attachments

hank4elk

Turkey terms:
Jakes and Jennies are birds of the year,meaning year old. So by second year they become Toms' and Hen's.
Some of us are a bit behind...

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
IF HE DOES NOT MEET #2 OR #3 IN THE FIELD HIS FIRST YEAR OF LIFE..HE WILL MAKE IT TO GOBBLER STATUS...THEN HE WILL HAVE TO CONTEND WITH #1...NO WORRYS ABOUT SWEETPEA..SHE'S NOT INTO BIRD SHOOTING....GLAD I HAVE HOARDS OF PHOTOS FROM HER PAST BIRD SHOOTING DAYS...ITS OVER FOR HER..KINDA BRINGS A TEAR TO MY EYE...ALL MAMMAL..ALL THE TIME..

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
That's freakin hillarious!! Damn breck....got the ax murderer look going on..nice!

GUNDOGLOVER

If the tail fan is even all the way across it's a tom. Most if not all young turkey s center tail feathers are noticeable longer than the rest.

weekender21

2 years. Beard length varies region to region and species to species. Your average 2 year old Rio in southern CA will sport 1/2"-3/4" spurs and an 8.5"-9" beard. Great beard genetics but I have seen very few "hook daddy's" in socal.

ilovesprig

If the tail fan is even all the way across it's a tom. Most if not all young turkey s center tail feathers are noticeable longer than the rest.
But there are exceptions....rare.....but I have a longbeard Rio with a jake-like tail.

Breck,

That's a 1st for me.......I've seen a number of jakes with full fans. But never the other way around........Possible loss of tail feathers thru fighting?

3 guys from last years opener.....Josh' true jake, Gen's true gobbler, and my what I thought was a 2 year old. Now I think he may have just been an older jake.....Full fan, 6" beard, 1/2" spurs.......Still don't know for sure.

Attachments

GUNDOGLOVER

When in doubt, go with the tail fan. In those photos, also notice, beard on Joshes bird is, at all appearance's less than 4 inches. Not always sure way to confirm age but with the tail fan and the beard, no doubt, Jake.
terrain and brush can have wear on beard and spears but not on tail fan so as to effect ageing bird.

Ambush

Ive heard that the jake tail fan longer (center) feathers shrink to match the outer feathers. And some two year olds may have a more triangular appearing tail fan (center feathers still slightly longer) and really old birds will have a more oblong fan (center feathers actually slightly shorter).

I thought spurs was the most accurate way to age a beard until read that and started really looking at the shape of the full fans. First bird this year was full fan, 1 1/16" spurs 3" beard. His buddy had a nice beard.