Whats a good starter compound bow?

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]I just joined the family into an archery club near my home. My wife and son have started shooting with a recurve bow. I want to join them but would rather use a compound so I can hunt with it later (after I learn a thing or two). I have never used a compound bow and only had limited recurve experience when I was in scouts many many years ago.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Can anyone recommend a good starter compound bow for me; preferably one that I can use for hunting deer and won't cost too much.[/SIZE]

JNDEER

Reaction score
If your down south. Head to an archery shop (not big box store). Shoot some bows, see what you like and go from there. They can explain everything and set you up properly.

sherpa1

Reaction score
My buddy shoots a Diamond Infinite Edge.. Its a good starting point. He paid about $300 for the ready to shoot package. It is completely adjustable in weight and pull.

SCREWLOOSE

Reaction score
Don't overlook used. Especially if it's been checked out by a good bow shop.

Most shops have a used/consignment area.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
to answer that question would be a mistake by some, you have to shoot them to know, I would take the class with your son and wife, using a recurve, this way you learn how to shot properly then once you get consistent, make the switch, fundamentals of any sport is the most imported thing.

Stand on the line with your family and let some arrows go all using the same kind of stuff, you will find how competitive your wife and son are, but they will not want to compete with you if your using a compound.

and it really does only heart the first time

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
I recommend the bow & arrow shop in Alpine......

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Or Willow Creek in Escondido.......Jim normally has a number of good pre-owned bows.

1984cj7

Reaction score
I got mine at the bow n arrow shop in alpine. bruce and crew are top notch, felt at home when I purchased my bow 2 yrs ago. I asked around on forums also of what bow I should get ect. ect. but it all came down to being in the shop holding the bow and flinging some arrows. good luck on purchase.

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I have been told there is a good shop in Riverside called Riverside Archery. I will start there. Shepra1 mentioned an "adjustibale wieght and pull"; is that something I should be asking for? Is $300 about right for a start up bow?

Need to have a rough amount in mind before I go to a shop.

As for shooting with my family; the club has recuve bows that I can barrow.

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
300 maybe a little low for new

Adjustable draw not needed if fit too you but most have other cams to adjust length......I think all bows have adjustable weight

sherpa1

Reaction score
Botech and Diamond bows have adjustable cams for the draw length. No other cams are needed. $300 is not alot of money for a bow,but if you decide archery is not for you, it can be sold really easy. why invest hundreds more before you even know if you will like the sport. But like a pair of boots, try it on before buying and fling a few arrows down range. Good Luck

paulc

Reaction score
Consider Mission by Mathews. They are made by mathews. Great value. Got one for my son. $400 Better than my Mathews switchback that is about 9 years old.

TonyS

Reaction score
Before I was robbed by a neighbor, and reported it to police in Anaheim who did ZIP S$*T NOTHING, I had a toxic from BPS. It was made by Diamond and
really sweet bow. Still have some 100 gr. thunderheads.

Go try one of those and see what you think.

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
Well I did it. After months of research and going to store to shoot several different bows I chose to buy a bowtec carbon icon. So far I love it. I was hitting the bulls eye at 20 yards on my first trip to the range. Looking foward to see how things progress with distance

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Congrats Manny.......Practiced yesterday myself......Felt good flinging a few arrows...... :smiley-wnk-yellow: