What ever happened to real "parents" ??

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score
I made my annual trip to the local mall over the weekend. I go to the JC Penney's there in the mall to the Big and Tall section to buy my socks. I had picked up my new socks and a cool new John Deere t-shirt before wandering over to get in line to await my turn to check out. While I was standing there I noticed two young children who were running around getting into everything while their parents just watched. I watched with total amazement while the young boy, that I guess at 4 or 5 years old, walked behind the counter, picked up the hand held laser scanner and began to "shoot" everything complete with his own sound effects. Again, both parents just stood there and watched!!

I am in my mid 30's. When I was a child I would have received a swat on the rear or a swift tug on my ear had I ignored my stern warning for acting up like these children were doing. It seems that I see behavior like this every where that I go any more. When did we stop being parents?

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
I know how you feel, I see it all the time. I worked in a bank branch years ago and we had a lady that brought her misbehaved kids in all the time and they were off the hook. One day I had a bunch of balloons on my desk and the boy (7ish) wanted one and I said no. He started to scream bloody murder and the mother came over and asked me to give him one... I said with a smile, sorry, these are for someone else. He screamed even louder and I just went back to business as usual. She would never discipline these rotten kids and they always got their way But not on my shift baby! :)

I'm old school, so Trevor is familiar with a good spanking when justified. "Time-outs" are for idiots. Kids need to learn lessons now so when they grow up, they know better. My kids respond well to loosing privileges, like TV, computer etc. But once in a while a good swat is in order. Like they say Let the punishment fit the crime and always carry out the punishment. :)

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
maybe you should visit our local wal mart.....not to sound racisist...but some of these mexican mothers need to be shipped out!!! these little brats running thru the store ...taking all the latest toys out of the box and giving them the shatter test on brother/sisters head....screaming for memo or papa..or some other crap!!! :)

wouldnt have been a swat on the butt or a tug on the ear for me......i would been drug outa the store by hair with her other hand swinging....i dont even wanna think what my "sweat" grandmother would have done.... :)

DeltaDan

"So this dyslexic alcoholic walked into a bra.....
Reaction score
Oakley, California (via Brentwood- about 4 miles d
Rest Assured -- Maury Povich is doing his best to help out in this problem area .............. Check your local listing for times and channels.

fatherdayhf4.jpg

Lisa S

Reaction score
When folks started stepping in for nothing.

My daughter Erinn was 1.5-3 y/o when she pulled the cuckoo clock down onto herself and got a black eye. While buying groceries the woman behind me let out this yell and almost screamed "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR DAUGHTER??". Looked back at her (probably not nicely) and told her what happened. She looked at the checker who told her "It's okay, she's been coming here for years." Meaning my kids hadn't looked battered before. Lady kinda snorted and just put off this nasty 'tude until we left.

Could have been worse but, that was MY first experience. As a former checker, I've heard all sorts of stories--"I spanked my kid near the counter and the clerk sent out Social Services."

Anyway ever since that incident and from having heard others, if the kids acted up: They got a warning, if it didn't stop--we left.
Not getting what we came for caused them to listen reaaaal quick.

Queenofthepink

Reaction score
Oh I completely agree with every one of you Let me tell you all what happened to me last week.

I took my 4 year old daughter into Big Johns to wait in line at Subway. *note she is not good at waiting in line* There was a mother with her two kids in front of me who where Hispanic and the kids where running up and down the isles screaming and bringing the mom stuff such as candy and sodas, Screaming and stomping their feet if they didn't get a responce.

My daughter asked if she could go and play with them. I told her that they were not being watched very well so she could stay put. The mom of the kids turned around and started yelling at me in spanish. (the store clerk even came over to calm her down)

Putting my daughter behind me and backing up a little I let her yell.

Unfortunitly, I didn't yell back. However, when she was done I calmly said, "Wheither I look Mexican or not I am, therefore if you took my words offensive you should have yelled at me in English considering you brought your family to a country where they can run around a store without getting their a$$ beat by a male passerby."

- with out her sandwich she left the store -

Women can not do that with their children in Mex (just to let you all know) My father and I were at a taco shop one time and there was a child running around. A complete stranger came up to the child and asked them where their mom was. He drug the kid to the mom and started puting the mother in her place stating that "THIS CHILD SHOULD NOT BE YOURS!" I never left my dads side after that. . . haha even now.

Coondog

Reaction score
When folks started stepping in for nothing.

My daughter Erinn was 1.5-3 y/o when she pulled the cuckoo clock down onto herself and got a black eye. While buying groceries the woman behind me let out this yell and almost screamed "WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR DAUGHTER??". Looked back at her (probably not nicely) and told her what happened. She looked at the checker who told her "It's okay, she's been coming here for years." Meaning my kids hadn't looked battered before. Lady kinda snorted and just put off this nasty 'tude until we left.

Could have been worse but, that was MY first experience. As a former checker, I've heard all sorts of stories--"I spanked my kid near the counter and the clerk sent out Social Services."

Anyway ever since that incident and from having heard others, if the kids acted up: They got a warning, if it didn't stop--we left.
Not getting what we came for caused them to listen reaaaal quick.

I have told this story before, but a buddy of mine was in a mall around the Dallas area when his son started acting up. He went through the procedures and then spanked him on the butt. Long story short, someone called the police and he wound up in the security office for a little over an hour having to explain the circumstances..

womanhunter

Reaction score
Rest Assured -- Maury Povich is doing his best to help out in this problem area .............. Check your local listing for times and channels.

fatherdayhf4.jpg

:)

Arise

Reaction score
If I was bad, I got one warning.

If I kept it up, I got the back of my fathers hand before I could flintch.

That's all I have to say except you all have one warning!! Biotch!

WinMag1

I'm your Huckleberry!
Reaction score
Vancouver, WA by way of Southern California
The whole concept of what is or isn't appropriate discipline for children now days has gotten ridiculously confusing IMHO. I lay blame to the liberal faction of our society, who've seen fit to take just about any form of physical discipline known to parenting, wrap it all up in a nice neat little package, and slap an ABUSE label on it. Then they drill the idea of what constitutes abuse into our children's heads to the point that the phrase "If you hit me I'll call CPS (child protection services) and report you" has become the mantra of the twenty first century. :smiley-cool-shades-down:

I know that's a bit of an exaggerated description, but I remember as a youngster, a well deserved whooping would get me to straighten up and fly right for a good while afterwards. :huh:

and no one even blinked an eye when a mother, who's child was acting up in the supermarket, would stop everything and light his or her britches up with a good public spanking and send em out to sit in the car and think about it while she finished shopping.
Nothin more embarrassing than getting put in your place by your parent in front of a bunch of strangers.

Yep, I miss the old days, when parenting was a natural instinct, allowed to flourish in all it's capacities. When the phrase "Time Out" was attributed only to games and sporting events. When there was a nice thick paddle with holes in it to lessen the wind resistance while swinging, sitting in the Principles office should you act up at school. Of course, being sent to the Principle was usually a last resort once the teacher realized that being smacked with a ruler or yardstick in front of the whole class was no longer working. When you were sent out to the willow tree to select the switch that would deliver your punishment, and GOD HELP YOU, if you choose one too small.

What ever happened to real "Parents", you ask? Just check with your local government official. They seem to know how to better raise our children than we do. Apparently, we as parents can no longer be trusted to select an appropriate method of discipline without running the risk of a 3-5 stretch in San Quentin :2:

:huh:

paulc

Reaction score
If someones kids act up in public i think the parents should get the whipping.

When my kids would have other kids over and those kids acted up in front of their parents and their parents did nothing, i bided my time.

When the parents left and those kids acted up under on my watch i jumped down their throat. 100% of the time they behaved the duration of the time at our home. and 70% of the time they wanted to come back. The other 30% i didnt give a rip.

Kids want discipline, i certainly dont see misbehaving kids as being happier overall. Their parents disgust me.

Coondog

Reaction score
If someones kids act up in public i think the parents should get the whipping.

When my kids would have other kids over and those kids acted up in front of their parents and their parents did nothing, i bided my time.

When the parents left and those kids acted up under on my watch i jumped down their throat. 100% of the time they behaved the duration of the time at our home. and 70% of the time they wanted to come back. The other 30% i didnt give a rip.

Kids want discipline, i certainly dont see misbehaving kids as being happier overall. Their parents disgust me.

I agree to an extent, but I sure hate to put everyone under the same umbrella. I dont think a kid acting up necessarily reflects on bad parenting. I consider myself a good parent, but we have had episodes when we have been running around all day with no nap and the kids are extremely tired, dont feel good, etc.. I am not sure how I feel about someone telling me I am not doing a good job because the kid is tired and whining..

karstic

Reaction score
When did we stop being parents?

When we decided to think more for ourself than for our children.

duckwidow

Treat everyone likes it's their birthday.
Reaction score
I was eating in a resterraunt the other nite and across from us there was a table of 4 kids under 6 years old. One of the kids proceeded to scream at the top of her lungs just to hear herself scream, you could tell because she was laughing. The mom never even glanced at the kid (the grandmother made a few sideways glances ans shook her head a little showing her disaproval) I said something to my husband about how we never would have gotten away with that and our own son would have never gotten away with disturbing everyone around him just for his entertainment, he said Its not politacally coorect to disapline your child anymore, everything is about making sure kids can "express" themselves. Boy I feel sorry and a little scared about the next generation comming up. :beer-toast:

duckwidow

Reaction score
oh, I would like to say something in defense of the hispanic kids. I work with a lot of 4 y.o. kids and the hispanic ones do tend to act like that in front of mom, BUT..in class when momis not around they are often (not always) the best behaved kids...the white , I'm sorry, The "non-hispanic" kids are the over induldged brats much of the time!

Queenofthepink

Reaction score
oh, I would like to say something in defense of the hispanic kids. I work with a lot of 4 y.o. kids and the hispanic ones do tend to act like that in front of mom, BUT..in class when momis not around they are often (not always) the best behaved kids...the white , I'm sorry, The "non-hispanic" kids are the over induldged brats much of the time!

Hispanic families are not afraid to spank their children however some mothers don't really believe that their children are acting up as much as they 'could be'. I remember when I acted up in church one time when I was like 7 and my nana thumped me so hard my ear hurt for a week. She told me in Spanish - "Shut up or god will hurt you more".

Ahh the good old days.

As for the white children...come on there are just as many 'white' parents out there just like hispanics who are all about the "TIME OUT" factor that it is rediculous.

The one time that my daughter tells me that she is going to call CPS First thing out of my mouth is gonna be.

"Well go outside and beat the shizzle out of yourself and call from a payphone because their not going to recognize you once you pick up that phone in my house"

*Ahh Parenting. What a great Experience! . . ."

WinMag1

I'm your Huckleberry!
Reaction score
Vancouver, WA by way of Southern California
The one time that my daughter tells me that she is going to call CPS First thing out of my mouth is gonna be.

"Well go outside and beat the shizzle out of yourself and call from a payphone because their not going to recognize you once you pick up that phone in my house"

LOVE IT QUEENIE!! :15: :beer-toast:

Atta Girl!!

duckwidow

Reaction score
One Hispanic mother that has a WELL amount of disbelief in 'TIME OUT'. :beer-toast:

huh? :15: