what do you have?

barel74

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new muzzleloader. I have a couple $75 CVA inlines, they're fun to shoot, and was a good way to find out what I liked and didn't like about some of the features. I've read about the Omega, but I'm not sure how I feel about that "lever" system. T/C Encores look like the one, but that price tag is a little steep. Traditions? Looks like the same "lever" system as the Omega. So, what are you guys shooting? Why do you like it? What don't you like about it? What sort of groups you getting out to 200yds?

All input is appreciated :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua:

bpnclark

Reaction score
I have the Omega and my brother has the ProHunter. I like shooting my Omega a lot better. It feels a little more comfortable and groups better. Im looking into buying another one next year. I would like to have one with a scope and one without. And with a basic Omega costing under $400 its great buy.

barel74

Reaction score
how tough is it to get the spent primer out? I think what I have now is a CVA Buckhorn or something like that. Has sort of a "bolt" set-up. It is a real bear to get the primer out when all is said and done.

bpnclark

Reaction score
No problema. But the last time we took the ProHunter out, one got stuck. We had to use a knife to get it out (and it would have screwed up a second shot) but it was the only time it happened and it has never happened in the Omega. Both are set up the same (just put one in the whole with your fingers, and pull it out when its fired).

The only problem I have had with the Omega is that my breech plug is stuck. But its my fault because the first time I tried to pull it out was this year (the gun is 4-5 years old). I never really thought I need to putt it out, but cleaning it would have been a lot easier if I would have. Other than that its a great hunting rifle. Now I just need to kill something with it.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
To anyone interested, my brother has a virtually brand new Knight Disc Estreme. Not a scratch on it. I don't think it has been shot 25-30 times. It has Leupold quick detach based already installed. Also comes with 2 boxes of Powerbelt bullets, extra breech plug, manual, and a a bunch of tools. He has a TC 1x muzzleloader scope that he'll throw in too. Wants $300 all in.

barel74

Reaction score
sounds like a great deal SD, but since I have enough shotgun primers to last 3 muzzleloading careers, I'm going to stick with something that uses them.

Anyone have any experience with the CVA Wolf? Price is definitely right, but I learned a long time ago, you get what you pay for.

goindeep

Reaction score
TC Omega for me. I knew absolutely nothing about muzzleloaders when I got into it. This gun is real simple to use, and was sighted in right out of the box! Two things I don't like are the fiber optic sights, thinking of going to a peep if I keep muzzleloader hunting, and the lever that opens up the breech has a piece that sticks out and it digs into my back with gun over my shoulder. Other than that it's 2 for 2 for me with it.

barel74

Reaction score
QUOTE (JeremyR34 @ Dec 16 2010, 12:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=300635
They are pretty expensive but look like a true hammer. Who would have thought you could buy a 500 yard muzzleloader!!

whoa...... $3950?!? Must be inlayed in gold or something.

When you get yours, give us a range report :lol:

SDHNTR

Reaction score
QUOTE (barel74 @ Dec 16 2010, 10:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=300549
sounds like a great deal SD, but since I have enough shotgun primers to last 3 muzzleloading careers, I'm going to stick with something that uses them.

Anyone have any experience with the CVA Wolf? Price is definitely right, but I learned a long time ago, you get what you pay for.

I think you are mistaken. That Knight uses 209 shotgun primers. You'd be fine.

chuckler

Reaction score
I went through a muzzleload phase where I bought & sold a handful of muzzleloaders:
TC Renegade
TC Black Diamond
TC Omega
Austin & Halleck 420 - shooting this one now

My A&H really likes the Buffalo SSBs in 375 with 105 gr of 777 -- it's an excellent deer & elk load out to 150 yards or so. Problem is...Buffalo went out of business & I only have 30 or so rounds left....good for a few more seasons only. I've got a Burris 1x Scout scope for it as well where legal. It's legal in OR also if they still have the no fiber optic law.

It's a real tack driver with a stock crisp, light trigger (no creep or overtravel). It is a heavy gun tho.

I'd go back to an omega or try a savage if I were to get a new one which I might do if mine won't shoot the Barnes ML bullets.

hank4elk

Reaction score
I was new to MZ's until a few years ago,besides a few times shooting a Hawken. But I got a TC Omega and have a Nikon scope on it and love it. Get 2-4" groups @ 200 yrds. I use the little tool TC has for the 209 shotgun primers I use. BP,use the lube stick...if you get the plug out. My scope cost more than what I paid for the Omega Z5.

barel74

Reaction score
Well, seems that everyone and their mothers uncle is using the Omega. No one is using any of the break action guns? I've been leaning towards them the whole time(seems like the simplest design, and I like to keep things simple), but don't know anyone who's ever used one.

bpnclark

Reaction score
The ProHunter is a break action. Its a nice rifle but its not that much different then an Omega. I would almost say the Omega is a break action. The difference is instead of the barrel breaking down; its the trigger and hammer that drop.

barel74

Reaction score
I don't want to sound cheap, but that Pro Hunter is just a little more than I want to spend....... I know, I know, I'm a cheap bastard.

For some reason, I just don't like the idea of that whole assembly moving(Omega "lever"). I feel a lot more comfortable with the break action. It also seems to give you easier access to the breach plug and primer nipple.

jringading

Big Game Assassin & Sherpa
Reaction score
QUOTE (barel74 @ Dec 21 2010, 10:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=301635
I don't want to sound cheap, but that Pro Hunter is just a little more than I want to spend....... I know, I know, I'm a cheap bastard.

For some reason, I just don't like the idea of that whole assembly moving(Omega "lever"). I feel a lot more comfortable with the break action. It also seems to give you easier access to the breach plug and primer nipple.

If there is one thing I have learned with firearms and optics is that you get what you pay for. Sometimes you find a hidden gem out there but more often than not you get something that just doesn't cut it and you have to go buy something else.

bpnclark

Reaction score
Barel It feels more like a breaking action than a lever. I think youll be surprised on how easy it is to use and how firm it breaks open. You should checkout one out at a gun store and play with one.

And yes the ProHunter is way over priced IMHO. So are the barrels.....

barel74

Reaction score
QUOTE (JeremyR34 @ Dec 22 2010, 06:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=301682
If there is one thing I have learned with firearms and optics is that you get what you pay for. Sometimes you find a hidden gem out there but more often than not you get something that just doesn't cut it and you have to go buy something else.

I totally agree with you Jeremy, but the ProHunter is nearly twice what the Omega goes for. I think they're making you pay for the fact that once you have the gun, you can buy any caliber barrel, and have a number of different set-ups on one action.

I've been thinking about the CVA Optima, and I guess I better get one of those Omegas in my hands, too.

thanks for all the input guys