Waterproofing a camper roof question

BDB

So, my old pop-up camper had a little leaky roof issues last year.  Yesterday I scraped off all the caulking on either side of the seam that runs up the middle and re-caulked it.  Anyway, I have been thinking about painting the whole roof with something like the "Duraliner" they use for painting in the liners for pick up truck beds.  Anyone ever try something like that on a camper?

The main issue with my camper is the roof is starting to sag a bit (she's an old girl, '94) so when it rains the water just sites there and doesn't run off so any little spot in a seam that is not 100% covered with caulking it will leak.

Anyway thought I would look for bright ideas on waterproofing it.

fudster

OK, the coffee has'nt kicked in yet, but places like camperworld and other one stop shops have a roof paint that works well.
it's some real sticky stuff, almost the consistency of marshmallow paste in a jar.

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
LOL Trig .... 100 cans later... of course you might be onto something could always flip it over and use it for a boat :smiley-wnk-yellow:

ilovesprig

Yeah Mikey..........I've heard the stuff isn't very good. Just thought maybe a cheap way to go on a small application.

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
I had a Jayco that had the seam that runs up the middle (I'd like to find the mofo that designed that thing and slug him in the side of the head for not making the skin out of 1 piece).  It eventually started leaking and had to be fixed.  I pulled off the trim pieces and scraped all the old putty off.  I got a couple rolls of the putty tape from Camping World  and laid it down, replaced the metal trim and then caulked with ProFlex sealant.  It was a major pain in the ass, took a full day & a half to do it right.  After that I didn't have any leaks for several years and I recently got rid of the thing. 

Or you could just get a cover for it though they only last a couple years. 

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Camping world does sell a latex type stuff you roll on. Have never used it but my day will be coming. The guy there said it works great but ya gots to buy some stuff to scrub the the top and let dry before you apply it 

BDB

Hogskin said:
I had a Jayco that had the seam that runs up the middle (I'd like to find the mofo that designed that thing and slug him in the side of the head for not making the skin out of 1 piece).

Yeah, I hear ya.  Thanks for all replies guys.  I may just test out my caulking job and if water tight I may just not bother for this year since it is done.  Took me about 3 hours to scrape all the old crap off and put on a new, and very liberal, coating of caulking on everything. Plus it pretty much looks like crap now with all the little patch jobs :)

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Rich....  I might be going out on a limb here but......im a feeling a little hostility towards CW from ya :smiley-noddin-yes-blue: .. Little slow around here, i could go for a good resentment story, please  do tell :smiley-popcorn: 

rvroofmagic

Instead of using any ordinary coating to protect your roof, use RV Roof Magic. RV Roof Magic will not only enhance the aesthetic looks of your RV roof with a seamless coating, but will also protect against leaks, ponding and challenges posed by extreme weather conditions. Never worry about water leaks ever again and will withstand ponding water 365 days a year.

outdoorplay

Founder
Instead of using any ordinary coating to protect your roof, use RV Roof Magic. RV Roof Magic will not only enhance the aesthetic looks of your RV roof with a seamless coating, but will also protect against leaks, ponding and challenges posed by extreme weather conditions. Never worry about water leaks ever again and will withstand ponding water 365 days a year.