Water is coming Sunday

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Could be good Ron. How far from Yuma is the delta area that will be flooded? Is this an area people already hunt waterfowl at? Is the more water just going to make it better?

D

Dove Hunter

Flooded all the way down as the crow flies from Yuma - San Luis an hour drive to where the delta begins . There has been no water in the river bed for years .

slinky_70

Reaction score
I say keep the water in the US and improve our habitat

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
slinky_70 said:
X2, we are in a historic drought and we are doing this, screw Mexico!

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
It may be their water we have been holding water since the earthquake for them.

D

Dove Hunter

The eastside of the dam is in Arizona and the U.S. shares jointly with Mexico the dam . There has not been a release of water since 1983 from the dam . This has stopped the flow of water and effectively ends the Colorado River before it gets to Mexico . There no reason to stop it there has been a treaty in place . http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/2014/03/morelos-dam-minute-319-and-replumbing-the-colorado-river-delta/ Read on http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/04/05/landmark-cooperation-brings-the-colorado-river-home/

D

Dove Hunter

I have seen on a smaller scale the Wetland Restoration program on the Quechan just north of Yuma with the cottonwoods and to bring the area back to what it was like . It is beautiful and has benefited the wild life in the area . As far as hunting the cottonwoods are a great roosting spot , and now there is good flyway to shoot Doves including my Zenaida Asiatica going back and forth after feeding . Shot it last year with guests .

D

Dove Hunter

DKScott said:
Right. Gotta keep all those desert golf courses green and resorts and park lakes full.

Don't forget the dancing waters at the Bellagio and remember the Battle Of Bucaneer Bay ran for 10 years . DU is very concerned about the area and has been waiting for such a project which will be only 1% of the Rivers flow dedicated to the project http://www.ducks.org/conservation/habitat/ducks-out-of-water/page3 . Why would there be negativity about it ?

Strictly ducks

Reaction score
Just got back from Blythe and I have never seen the water so high. Not sure why it's so high if we are in such a drought.

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
is this the same type of thing they did up in the owens with the water flow?

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
How do you Wister hunters feel about water being cut and sent into Mexico?

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
DKScott said:
Right. Gotta keep all those desert golf courses green and resorts and park lakes full.
No Scott I don't give a rats ass about any golf course I do care about Southern California hunters especially those who have young kids who need an area to hunt. Based on the water issues at Wister this past season it's hard to be supportive of any project that would make water any tougher to get for Wister

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
"Under Minute 319, the United States also agreed to invest $21 million in Mexican infrastructure to “save” enough water to cover about half of the upcoming pulse flow."

Invest? Why the hell do our tax dollars go to crap like this? Can't we waist money in our own country?

I'm all for saving water for the delta....... Lord knows that we could cut down on golf courses and pretty lawns! The farmers in the IV are starting a massive water conservation program ...... Better late then never!

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
KID CREOLE said:
No Scott I don't give a rats ass about any golf course I do care about Southern California hunters especially those who have young kids who need an area to hunt. Based on the water issues at Wister this past season it's hard to be supportive of any project that would make water any tougher to get for Wister

I agree that GCs should go brown before habitat is dried out, but were the water issues at Wister due to availability or money or bad planning? The Mexicans are entitled to 1.5 MM acre feet from the Colorado per year. We have essentially dried out the delta by taking all the water before it reaches the Sea of Cortez. That by itself is an environmental and economic nightmare. The Colorado is over-allocated and we have based our growth on taking too much.

slinky_70

Reaction score
I could care less about golf courses but I would venture to say most probably are more efficient with water use by recycling water and also using non potable water than most residents . Also the widgeon need somewhere to graze :smiley-ugly-lol-bashing-sign: .

I would say Wister water issues were a combination of all the above. Still need to maintain our habitat in the US instead of flooding the desert in Mexico

D

Dove Hunter

The water to be used is there water allocated to Mexico . How is that disruptive to Wister if it is Mexico share of the water from the Colorado River ? I would have thought that it would be a popular choice if water that is owned by someone else is used to help in Wetland Restoration . It is there water .