Water filters?

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
MSR Sweetwater for a hand pump and a Katadyn base camp filter for base camp... I have no complaints about either and have no reason to go shopping for something else. Ed F

hank4elk

Reaction score
Been using my MSR for 15 years. It used to be the smallest, lightest,etc. but not now. Still works great.

weekender21

Reaction score
Going to try the Sawyer filter this year. I have reasons: First, I'm a gear whore and second this thing weighs 3oz's. Thanks to Rosinbag I no longer go in the field without Katadyn tabs either as a primary or back-up, they weigh almost nothing.

http://www.rei.com/product/837824/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter

weekender21

Reaction score
I might also test drive the Katadyn base camp, haven't decided. The MSR Sweetwater is a great option too.

TonyS

Reaction score
Katadyn- for the money you can't beat it.

JNDEER

Reaction score
For the right conditions the sawyer would be good, but I think it would be more place specific. A katadyn is everyplace specific. If your an occasional backpacker I would think katadyn or any pump would make more sense.

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
I looking for a base camp filter and a back pack filter. Think im going to look for one for my 5th wheel also. Going to set up the 5th wheel with solar panels ......going off the grid!

weekender21

Reaction score
For the right conditions the sawyer would be good, but I think it would be more place specific. A katadyn is everyplace specific. If your an occasional backpacker I would think katadyn or any pump would make more sense.

What conditions are you referring to as "right"? As long as you can get water in the bag, you can filter it.

youngr24

Reaction score
Mine is a MSR. not a small unit. But I have filtered water out of some pretty nasty pools of water. With no problems.

Im putting it to use tomorrow. :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua:

Ambush

Reaction score

What conditions are you referring to as "right"? As long as you can get water in the bag, you can filter it.

X2 only prob Ive heard of is if water freezes inside the filter. You must drain or protect from freezing.

weekender21

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see how that might be a problem in certain conditions. I've had to thaw out the hoses on my MSR Sweetwater plenty of times though. It's not usually below freezing on backcountry hunts I do but that's something to remember. I did read that on an REI review now that you mention it. I guess you could just toss it in your pocket if it was cold.

I would be happy with the Katadyn pills all of the time if you didn't have to wait 4 hours to kill everything. Not a show stopper but it does get annoying.

youngr24

Reaction score
Not even sure of the model. but ive have hauled this thing all over the backcountry for over four years and have had zero problems. Just used it yesterday. great day hike.

View attachment 46926

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 6

SCREWLOOSE

Reaction score
Story Creek has Sawyer products on sale this week.

Promo code is sawyer10 for 10% off. free shipping too.

http://www.storycreekinc.com/m-80-sawyer-water-filters.aspx

I have not compared their prices and have never used a Sawyer. Just passing the info on....

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
MSR hyper flow small and works great even in little puddles of nasty water located in D16. Used it for 10 days in UT as my only filter worked great and light weight.

You must get the camelbak adapter products makes getting water into your hydration bottle/bag so easy!!