venison tri-tip

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
Venison tri-tip has to be one of the best kept secrets. Dash of olive oil to keep the rub on and don't over cook it. Anybody else prefer this tender morsel?

hank4elk

Reaction score
Where's the venison?
I only have elk,but the same thing works great.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Where's venison tri-tip on a deer?..........Had elk backstrap last night........Can't get much better.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
thats what was for dinner in the dickerson house hold, yum yum

hank4elk

Reaction score
ilovesprig said:
Where's venison tri-tip on a deer?..........Had elk backstrap last night........Can't get much better.
....maybe the tenders I'm eating this weekend!

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
I don't wanna get to technical here{specially for the duckers}..but venison, by name= deer&elk[same family]..that being said..i hate them both :18:

Attachments

• freez.jpg
    freez.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0

ilovesprig

Reaction score

hatchet1

Reaction score
Hmmm..pretty sure elk..caribou..and moose...are all deer species(cervidae..deer family).therefore the term venison would be generic for all species of "deer" but what do I know..I duck during the season also..

L.O.L!!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Matt,

As stated, just never heard it called that........Hell, per the definition, goat, sheep, hares, pigs,and other mammals can be called venison.

hatchet1

Reaction score
as stated..i hate them both!! so much so that im thawing some out for Lloyd and the boys tonight!! :18: :10:

Backstrap Guy

Reaction score
Elk stuffed peppers last night. Elk steaks over the week end. Ready to hunt again.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
Just barely enough leftovers for lunch today. I really thought the kids were going to turn on me when I was packing up the rest of the meat for lunch before they had the chance at 2nds.

D12 Tracker

Reaction score
Going by memory...the tri-tip location. If you are looking broadside at the left side of the deer, (or elk or moose or whatever four legged creature that is about to be dinner). The tri-tip will be above the knee on the left side of the hind leg. There are three muscle groups that connect down to the knee. The tri-tip is one of them. It is shaped very similar to the ones in the grocery store. It does require a little bit of trimming to remove the 'catfish skin' as I call it. If it isn't removed then the meat won't be able to relax and won't be very tender. Anyone who needs help locating, preparing, cooking, or consuming one is welcome to invite me over.

upper

Reaction score
I had some Buffalo tri-tip the other night,tasted a little like beef.........................Upper

hank4elk

Reaction score
Yeah ,venison covers all ungulates in the meat name dept even in foodie books, so Matt is technicnally right,but the only folks I know that call Elk venison are from Kali..............Matt!
Course I believe ' Hatchet is good ol' boy at heart too.Love the pic. Mine looks similar.
Been giving some away to neighbors and cooking stuff to freeze ,it's evil cycle. And I have half a elk at the butcher still.....I hate elk...errr venison!