Vaguely in the market for a new lab

sdbrewer

Reaction score
With the passing of my old dog – thanks for all of the kind words by the way – we are vaguely in the market for a new lab. The family wants one in spring of next year. I’d prefer to wait a year beyond that but if the right litter comes along, I’m sure I will lose that discussion. So, if you hear of any litters, I’d appreciate a “heads up.” Doesn’t have to be SoCal. I’m open to shipping a dog from anywhere. If the dog is from up in NoCal or AZ or UT or NV or some such, we’d probably drive and pick it up there.

Here’s what we’re looking for (I know some believe the only thing that should matter is pedigree; but that isn’t the case for our family – though it is important):

Must be female;

Must be yellow or brown;

Must be from solid hunting lines;

Must have all standard health clearances;

Must not be “high strung” – this is probably the toughest requirement to screen litters for. Here’s an example of what I’m getting at: Gary Bethel – “Bird Dog Bunkhouse” on the Refuge Forum – specifically breeds for dogs which are serious hunters but also very mellow around the house. He describes them as having an “off” switch. That’s what we’re looking for. After all, the vast majority of the dogs life, it will be around the house and not out in the field (though I want it to perform sufficiently out in the field). I’ve already talked with Gary by e-mail and he presently doesn’t have any litters coming up that fit the bill (unfortunately).

I have a pretty good idea of what such a dog ought to cost and am a firm believer in the purchase price being the cheapest part of dog ownership.

I appreciate any leads you might send my way.

Mrfish

Reaction score
I should be having my dog bred in the spring. Both her and the male are yellow, strong hunt drive, both come from hunting lines, but most importantly are calm around the house. Neither of them have all their parents and grandparents with MH titles, but they are both bird nuts and great with kids. Its still 6 months or so off, but I have to breed her this year.

sdbrewer

Reaction score
Mr. Fish,

Thanks for the info. Do both dogs have documented health clearances? Are pedigrees available for both dogs? Let me know if you'd like to take this conversation to PMs.

Russ

Reaction score
My last five dogs were advertised on the Retriever Training Forum
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Classifieds-Lab-Puppies

All of our FC sired dogs have an off button at home. We did have a Cosmo son that was on the wild side but he has been gone a couple of years now. My Fargo son is very calm in the house but is wild when working.

If you are looking for a field champion sired pup, the current producing dogs I would recommend would be Nitro, Shaq & Grady. They produce very talented but calm field dogs on average. Of course, nothing is for certain when it comes to breeding.

Russ

sdbrewer

Reaction score
Thanks very much Russ! If you happen to spot a litter that might fit the bill, I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know. As stated, I'm in no particular hurry. I'll PM my e-mail and cell.

Thanks,

Whit

Hunt'EmUp

Reaction score
If your going for Brown, hard to do better than the Barracuda Blue Line = 4 conseutive generations of Brown Amatured trained FC-AFC MH, well Ammo doesn't have an MH but we won't hold that against her. ;) I'm really enjoying my FC Roux pup, 9mt. old and just finishing up water forcing, the whole litter was very smart, very user friendly, bird crazy and laid back, mine's in the house most of the time. All the pups I've seen out of him have been pretty much the same way.

Here's the litter I did last year https://www.facebook.com/RouxXLakotaPups?ref=hl

I might do another in a year or so, but we're hunting this year, my girl wouldn't forgive me if she got left home 2 seasons.

My friend did a Grady breeding, (yellow) they are little pocket rockets, very smart, good house dogs

But IMHO look more at the female, less at the male, the pups usually turn out like the Female, all of mine did

sdbrewer

Reaction score
Thanks Hunt'Em Up! As stated, I'm in no particular hurry but if you hear of a litter that might be along the lines of what I'm looking for, I'd really appreciate your letting me know.

Glad you're enjoying your new pup! I gotta say, I am really looking forward to some, but not all, aspects of having a pup around the house again. Good thing they're so darn cute because they sure can be a pain in the butt sometime. Luckily, much of our furniture still has the teeth marks and chew spots from the last pup we brought home.

My dog that just passed, Annie, was brown; so brown has a special place in my heart (from Jan of 07):

View attachment 53686

View attachment 53687

View attachment 53688

Attachments

• Annie1 R.jpg
    Annie1 R.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Annie2 R.jpg
    Annie2 R.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Annie3 R.jpg
    Annie3 R.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 0

Russ

Reaction score
Whit,

I lost all of my old emails, yours included, so be sure to send your info. I will keep my eyes open. I am kind of looking for myself. Cal turns 8 next month so I will need to start another one in a year or so. We like to be training and competing with two at a time. You should come down to Fiesta Island when we are training some time and watch our 3 year old yellow work. His grandsire is Nitro.

HuntEmUp is correct on the Cuda and Roux lines. They have quality dogs. Gator Point is also a good brown dog line. ...but there are a lot more top quality yellows to choose from than chocolates.

I trained with Cuda's owner this summer on our Montana property. Charles has a new good young one running Derby right now, a brown dog named Reed.

Russ

Russ

Reaction score
I did not receive the usual notification by email, but I see the PM arrived in my box.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
OR YOU CAN ALWAYS GO WITH THE SURE THING.....HE'S MY SPECIAL BOY...AND HIS SEED IS AVAILABLE..ITS NOT CHEAP...BUT MAN WHAT A HUNTER!!

Attachments

• lloyd in may#3.jpg
    lloyd in may#3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • lloyd in may#2.jpg
    lloyd in may#2.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 0
  • lloyd..filthy bastard!!!.jpg
    lloyd..filthy bastard!!!.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 0
  • lloyd sleep.jpg
    lloyd sleep.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0

Russ

Reaction score
DKScott said:
I did not receive the usual notification by email, but I see the PM arrived in my box.

You can go into your profile and select what you want to be notified of and how.

As for labs, I got nothin'

I am set up for being notified and have been notified of a PM in the last week. I did not get one this time. It was probably lost in ether space.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
MexHunter said:

You can go into your profile and select what you want to be notified of and how.

As for labs, I got nothin'

I am set up for being notified and have been notified of a PM in the last week. I did not get one this time. It was probably lost in ether space.

Just one of the many mysteries of this software. I think the developers are as mystified by it as anyone