Utah mt goat

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Where to start, I guess dreams do come true. Been dreaming of hunting my goats since I first seen them in one of my dads hunting magizin. First thought as a kid was why would someone want to hunt a animal with such small horns, then it turned into I want to.

So like every year draws open and I apply for everything I can afford for the kid and I, plus get the added bonus of my dad offering to pay fees for Idaho if I wanted to apply for goats there. I tell you soon as we mailed in for Idaho I knew I was going to get that tag.

Well cc start to get hit for several states and Idaho post their results I have my dad on the phone as I'm checking and to my surprise we strike out in Idaho. I then hang up and call my cc to see if were hit for general deer in utah and they inform me of a 1500 charge. I hang up and start doing the math and 4 deer tags don't cost that much. Well next thing you know I'm on Utah's web seeing that the daughter it I drew a Oil tag.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Well emails finally come out and I get Pays first and see that it wasn't her that got drawn. Honestly was hoping it was her as what better feeling would it be to have your kid draw first time applying. Of course I don't get my email until the next day and see that I had drawn the goat tag. To say I was on cloud 9 was a understatement.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Well got some great Intel on where to start looking thanks to Ed and Roy and made a scouting trip up to check things out. It was a great scouting trip seeing many goats and one big billy that stood out from all the rest. Also found out that elavetion is no joke and I needed meds for the hunt for sure.

With that in mind I scrambled to get anything to help with altitude, and the plan was to head up early to try and aculamate. Well as usually happens work got in the way and I didn't get to leave until Tuesday. Got up there early enough to see big billy and his friend were still hanging together just a drainage away from where we scouted them.

mouthcallinmatt

Reaction score
So stoked for you Skeet! Looking forward to the rest of the story & hopefully a night around the campfire with some Mountain Goat on the menu.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Well my dad and buddy dj show up Thursday night but can only stay the weekend. So my two helpers are a bit older dad 62 dj in his 70s just the guys you need for a goat hunt. Friday morning I show them what I have found and we make sure big billy is still in his hole. Weather forecast for the opener is thunder storms all day. Not good as I have noticed through the week that when it's storming the goats disappear from their normal spots.

Opening morning is hear and we head to big billy hill only to find a outfitter has beat us there, go figure have not seen anyone scouting goats all week.

Well we set up in our glassing spot in a old mine shaft to get out of the rain and watch the two guides drag the client up the hill. It was fun to watch one on each side of him literally help him up the hill. After sitting in the mine for several hours in heavy rain and fog we decided it was time to check on the other group of goats.

We found the nursery group of 37 goats mostly nanny and kids with a few small billies in a decent area for a archery stalk the day before so that was the back up plan. Well as things go someone got there first and we see the heard now in a area I'm not ready to venture to so back to camp for lunch.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Once in camp get dried off and some good and finally out comes the Sun so back up we go to start glassing. We immediately start seeing goats and had a heard of six I could have shot out of the truck would have made hatchet proud I'm sure but they were just nannies and I wanted a mature billy so I passed a for sure archery shot.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Back at camp that night I made up my mind that I rather shoot a mature billy with the rifle than a nanny with the bow so out came the 7 mag.

Next morning I wake up sick, the altitude meds the doc gave me that were supposed to get me over the so called hump didn't. Once I ran out of them the effects started to hit me good high.

I get in a hurry and tell my dad and dj to meet me on the hill, you know coffee guys who don't have a tag are in no hurry to go anywhere without a cup or two. I'm sure I pissed them off by leaving but the Sun was up and that has ment the goats will be out.

I drive to big billies hideout and instantly spot him in a area I was sure I could get into rifle range of. I hightail it to some rock pinnacles and start to climb up the loose shale ledges. I some how make it up and realize not only am I In rifle range of the billy which was great I also had no idea how I was going to get down from the ledge I somehow got myself on.

I make a phone call get a hold of the old guys and tell them I'm set up on what I think is big billy and ask them to come over for a second opinion before I shoot. (Truth be told I just wanted somebody to know where to find my body if I fell off the ledge trying to get down).

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Well the old guys show up and put the spotter on him and confirm what I already knew that it was big billy and they were pretty sure we could make the two hour hike to where he was bedded to recover him after the shot.

Now for those of you who know my dad you know he had a better idea of where I should be set up but he could comprehend as to why I wasn't moving from my pearch. As were discussing options the goat stands up giving me a broadside shot at 450. I drop down in prone position and instincts take over next thing I see is the goat suck up the shot. I go to put another round in him and notice the frigging gun is jammed. Damn autos. I get another round in and shoot again only to have the frigging gun jam once more. I fumble around and get a new mag in figuring I had the bad one in (it's my dads gun I borrowed hind site I should have cleaned it but figured who puts away a dirty gun lol).

I regain myself and see what looks like the goat is about to go over the ridge. All the while I hear the old guys screaming something at me but from a couple hundred yards away I have no idea what there saying. Turns out they were saying stop shooting he is down but I had no idea since I had to keep taking my eye off of him to unjam the gun. Well anyway one last shot and next thing you know the goat is rolling and kartwheeling 700 or so yards down the hill.

HECK YA I GOT MY BIG BILLY is what I'm thinking as I'm wondering is anything going to be left of him and is he ever going to stop rolling. Finally he stops on what is the only tree for the next several hundred yards down into the bottom of let's call it hells canyon.

My dad covers the 300 yards to me in marathon time while DJ stays on the glass to guide us Into the goat. Now came the hardest part the climb off the ledge I was on. Some how I made it down alive and was pretty happy about that.

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
We make our way to him with RD leading the way, is say he was just as excited as me. We tried to stay on goat trails but walking on those slopes with the loose shale was challenging. We found him wrapped around a tree all in tack. After a few guys and back slapping the real work started but I'm sure as goat hunting goes we got it easy he stopped on a goat trail and was only a hour hike up hill to the truck.

I want to thank everyone who offered me help and especially thanks to my dad and DJ for spending their time up there helping me pack him out

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
Money shots

Attachments

• 20170910_104220.jpg
    20170910_104220.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20170910_104326.jpg
    20170910_104326.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 0