Using an Owl Call

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I use the owl hoot before flydown....I don't use a store bought call either.......I can go much louder by mouth and I'm able to hold the last note much longer............... :two-cents:

Ambush

Reaction score
IMO turkeys will gobble at most any big noise if not alarmed (shock gobble) and a owl call is a natural loud sound. Some may say like the crow the owl is a turkey predator and thus the turkey will gobble it them, you make the call.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Sorry for the funny video, but I think you get the idea of owl hooting.......................... :smiley-wnk-yellow:

JNDEER

Reaction score
I use a H.S. hoot tube. If your hunting public land be careful as you will educated the birds if you do this before the season starts as a locator. I usually only do it on rare occasions as 9 times out of 10 birds will gobble on their own before they fly down. You just have to be quiet and listen.

sportyg

Reaction score
Picking up some good info for those who have never used an owl call.. Good job Sprig.

Beretta, the owl call is a good call to use when you are out trying to find where the brids are roosting it is best used in the evening or very early morning before fly down time.

SBISHOP79

Reaction score
I have used an owl call at 0 too early to find turkey just 200 yards from my truck, and he was on the Indian res. So that was a no go...... Just know where your planing on hunting....and the lay of the land...and the property lines.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Since, we're talking basically about locator calls. I use a peacock call quite often too......Lots of peafowl in the back country these days...High & screachy........ :smiley-violin:

Attachments

• turkeys 2-15-12 037.JPG
    turkeys 2-15-12 037.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 14

The Matagi

Reaction score
One of my top locator is the coyote howle. The sharp sound of a yep will make them gobble even in bad weather. I howle away from te roost cause some times if the birds think the tote is nearby, they will be tight lipped.

SBISHOP79

Reaction score
I have used a wood peacker call be for and have had better luck with my honker call as a locator call. Give it a try. There is something they really like about the honker cluck.