Two girls and their peccarys

BOWUNTR

Couldn't wait for this to happen, their first hunt. Arizona hunts start on Fridays so I called in sick at work and the kids ditched school. Olivia won the coin toss for first shot. I went to a spot where I knew a herd hangs out and after glassing for a couple hours I spotted them. Game on... these kids were super excited. I was a wreck... everything you could imagine was going through my mind. A half mile hike and we were in the zone. I walked around a juniper and saw 3 peccarys munching at 30 yards. I put the 1964 Remington 243 on the shooting sticks. I told Olivia to take her pick. Kaaapow, pig down. I started blowing on the call, Sophia got behind the gun. A nice boar charges into 10 yards and Sophie can't find it in the scope. She was scared to death, that thing was pissed. No shot.

Spent the rest of the day glassing without turning up anymore javalina. Saw deer, elk and antelope... no javalina. I was worried about this hunt because I always hunt deer and see javalina. When you try to find javalina they can be difficult. Anyways, I caped Olivias big old boar out for a 3/4 mount. She wants it for her bedroom... done. McDonalds for lunch and then back at it.

At the end of the day we went to a spot where I've seen them before and nobody really messes with it. My plan was to locate them and then pick them back up in the morning, the sun was setting. I set up the 15's and boom... javalina a mile out. I look at the girls, at the sun, and the javalina... pack your sh!t, we got a long ways to go and not much time. We fast walked into the zone and spot them 100 yards out. Slow stalk into 20 yards and as we were setting up they blow out. I start blowing on the call which created mass hysteria, pissed off pigs running everywhere. One blows by us at 20 yards and I tell Sophie shoot that one when it stops. I watch her track it and when it stops at 60 yards.... BOOM, dead pig. I was so pumped... almost in tears. We pulled it off and made their first hunt successful and fun. They should draw junior elk and deer tags for this fall.... love it. Ed F

Attachments

BOWUNTR

I edited the story into it... I was eating javalina chorizo and eggs. I hear people cry about how these things taste... they're not doing it right. The only problem with javalina is that they're small and don't have much meat on them. Ed F

Attachments

BigWave

Very awesome stuff there Ed....all except for the eating of the javi.....I've tried and just can't choke it down!

BOWUNTR

The local and only butcher here does hundreds of javalina... they either do it right or don't do it. I'm telling you the chorizo is excellent. Olivias is spicy Italian sausage and Sophias is jalepeno/cheddar hot sticks. Good stuff... Ed F

snoopdogg

I gotta move out of Cali! Good sh!t on your girls and the stink pigs. You have the female versions of Hatchets 3-headed monster, notwithstanding Sweet Pea.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Amazing work Ed and girls!! Really is nothing better than watching the kids drop the hammer!! And I too second the chorizzo on the javis...just gotta know how to mix it...truly amazing! Gonna whip a batch up tommorow!!

BOWUNTR

This one (J13).... I believe any predator call will work. It sounds awful and they think it's an injured javalina. They come in pissed and stinky. Ed F

Attachments