Tooth Identification?

Jscagg92

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm in the wrong spot for this or not. If so, it would be great if a mod could move me to the right forum. I live in Mobile, AL, and the other day, I went outside and found a large tooth in my yard. I have no idea what it could be from, I've never seen anything in the area large enough to have a tooth this size. There are some stray dogs in the area, but I really don't think it came from one of them. If anyone has any idea's what this could be from, I would love some insight.

Joseph

017.jpg

016.jpg

upper

Reaction score
Looks like a tooth from a opossum or two that you ate.............Bon Apiteeeet.........Upper

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Welcome to the site jscagg. I have no idea what it is. Unicorn premolar maybe?

Pay no attention to upper. Sometimes they forget to lock the door while the electroshock session wears off and he wanders off and finds a computer

upper

Reaction score
Welcome to the site jscagg. I have no idea what it is. Unicorn premolar maybe?

Pay no attention to upper. Sometimes they forget to lock the door while the electroshock session wears off and he wanders off and finds a computer
Dang! just trying to point out the North American Marcupial with the most teeth

Jscagg92

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I'm pretty sure its a tooth and not a claw, it doesn't have the feel of a claw, and its not curved at all. I kind of doubt it came from an opposum, or maybe a Racoon, or anything like that, because of its size. I just took a mesurement, and its 2 1/2 inches long, and 3/4 of an inch wide at the base. Also, its solid, if that provides any help.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Welcome Jscagg92.................Any other pics?...............It doesn't appear curved & too sharp for a canine.

7DUX

Reaction score
Rougarou without a doubt.

Jscagg92

Reaction score
Thank you! And its quite pointy, easily capable of poking through your skin if you're not aware of the point when handling it. The point seems to be hallow, but I'm not sure if that's just cause its old, and maybe a little rotted, or got broken, or if its supposed to be like that. Here are some more pics:

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Any alligator gar in your area?........For whatever reason, it just doesn't look like a mammal tooth.

Jscagg92

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot. But we've caught Alligator Gar around 6 feet long, and near 100 pounds, and the teeth weren't anywhere near as big as this. We've seen some 10 foot gar around, but I don't think the teeth could grow that much from 6 feet, to 10. This tooth would need to come from a 25 foot gar.

Jscagg92

Reaction score
Oh its a mean little (Not so little) thing. Actually I haven't, though that might be something to look into. I figured I would give some forums a shot first before tracking down an official.

2rocky

Reaction score
Could it be a baculum rather than a tooth?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Some-Got-More-Bony-Than-Others-42436.shtml

pitdog

Old and grumpy
Reaction score
I would guess it's some kind of bone rather than a tooth.

Jscagg92

Reaction score
Could be a bone, not a baculum though I don't think. It doesn't look like its been chipped though, to make it form that point. What kind of bone is pointy like that?

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!
Reaction score
The teeth of a Chupacabra!!!

I'm with Steve on the fish bone.

carl

Reaction score
Is it flexible?

I'm with Mark on the Chupacabra thought too:)