TOF YOTE HUNT

ESSposse

Marsh Ninja.... Deal with it.
Reaction score
Corona, CA. Where men are men and sheep are scared
Dude............ where were you?????????

Had another one last weekend. Everyone got 3 except Pit.... he got 4!!! :banana-man-yeah:

Really Rich... if you logged on more and maybe posted once or twice................... :smiley_welcome_sign:

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
damit...you guys did it again.....i was even going to put out this time.......... :smiley_welcome_sign:

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
well you jerks are back from "watchin geese".....are we going to do the yote slaughter next or did it get bumped for the pig poke? :cross-fingers:

Arise

Reaction score
Rich -

I know a few of us are slam jammed on the up comming weekends. I'll talk to JD and see if we can put something together in April.

Soreloser

Reaction score
Oh yeah sure, why don't ya'll just go out and ruin the new crop for next year..

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Ok Soreloser

You've now got me a bit confused ? To quote you from my thread about game callers you told me

" Unfortunately you live in the desert. The coyotes will be there long after you are gone. The area you live in has a good population of dogs and trust me when I say that it gets hit pretty hard by a BUNCH of people. Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but your are not going to solve your coyote problem"

How are these guys going to ruin the crop for next year ? Like you said you cant solve the coyote problem, they're here to stay. IMO with it being a dry year KILL all them wild dogs everyone see's, maybe we'll have a few more birds to shoot come the 3rd weekend of Oct.

Larry

Augnmike

Reaction score
Mt Goat I think what he was trying to say is that even though coyotes will be around long after we are gone, most hardcore predator hunters lay off the dogs during breeding and pup raising times. Unless one is doing depredation work on specific properties or locations due to predation problems by coyotes it might be best not to hunt them on public land if you want maximum opportunities in the future. I would love to see a TOF hunt for September when their are lots of young and dumb ones to go after.

A friend of mine, who is now an accomplished predator hunter once told me of the time he hunted coyotes all year long that is until he cut open a female and eight pups fell out.

I have said it before I am not judging anyone since the law clearly states you can hunt them all year long. I just really like the seasons that are loaded with dogs because it makes things more consistent and fun.

I know hardcore duck hunters who count wounded and unrecovered ducks as part of their limit, they don't have to, they just feel it's the right thing to do.

pitdog

Old and grumpy
Reaction score
Most of the hard core... All of the hard core varmint hunters that I know "never hunt in the spring". Unless they're helping someone with a yote problem like yours... Speaking of which, I have a caller that you're welcome to use. It's not remote but it does the job.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
I know most hardcore varmint guys are done, LOL, I was just throwing a wrench into the gears of the thinking here, LOL.

Pitdog thanks for the offer on your Game Caller, but I went ahead and ordered one today, just because, it will be nice to have around just to go screw around a bit with my boys.

Larry

BillinSD

Reaction score
Hey Mike, is predator hunting your favorite hunting? It seems like it is really addictive.

Bill

Switch

Reaction score
Hey Bill, I can likely answer that for him...oh yeah!

Those that are addicted to the sport of predator calling, tend to lay off the animals towards the end of Feb, when they are pairing up and getting ready to breed. I do the same. I like to go to my old spots and find the new group of coyotes in the fall.

I consider March to September the off season, a time to get my gear in order or accumulate near gear for the next season.

Only exception for me is depredation on private ranches.

Soreloser

Reaction score
Hey Mt. Goat,

Not sure why, but it sure seems like you took a little offense to my response. It's all good..

Here is the point, or at least my point, because you obviously have a different outlook on Coyotes that I do. None the less, it sure is alot nicer to let a bitch live throughout the spring and raise 6-9 pups for me to hunt come July/August, then it is to shoot a bitch with 6-9 pups inside of her that will die and never see July/August.

Will we ever kill them all.. NO WAY NO HOW.. Not even serious ADC guys can eradicate the coyote from certain areas, and that with using poison, den shooting with the aid of smoke, helicopters, you name it. One coyote will always replace another that left a certain area and I am a firm believer that coyotes can and will get to a carrying capacity for an area, and once you take out a bunch of them, the next years pup crop will be just that much greater to replace them ones that were lost. This is what I mean, when I say the coyote problem will never be solved, but then again, that really doesn't bother me and I can only hope that the problem keeps getting bigger and bigger because not only will it provide me with more targets, but also with more hook ups on Private ranches...

Good day and remember.. "Don't stink, don't move, don't miss"

Tim

Switch

Reaction score
Ah yes, the private ranches. I can't wait to get back out there and hit 'em again with the furbucket crew. I think I know why you guys struck out on your last trip...No Switch to hit the runners and to connect on those almost impossible long shots :rolleyes:

Augnmike

Reaction score
Steve, yeah I know that all us hardcore guys leave 'em alone, I was just trying not to come off as a know it all.

Bill I think predator hunting is more addictive then other types of hunting I have done. One reason is that they are so damn smart and win a could portion of the time. Another reason is because it is a diverse sport. You can hunt them at night, you can hunt foxes and cats also. It isn't that equipment intensive (like another love of mine, waterfowl hunting). Predators are tough to hunt and can make even the most accomplished veteran look pretty silly sometimes.

Switch, you may be right about the last hunt but one thing is for sure at least we had SANDWICHES.

BigDog

Reaction score
Obviously, I am not what you would call a yote hunter. For me, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is. A dead yote is a good yote. If it is dead, it isn't going to have a chance of killing a fawn.

Soreloser

Reaction score
Obviously, I am not what you would call a yote hunter. For me, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is. A dead yote is a good yote. If it is dead, it isn't going to have a chance of killing a fawn.

I think you would be surprised as to how many fawns they DON'T eat, especially in CA. That would be like finding a needle in a haystack wouldn't it???? :smiley_10sign:

BigDog

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not, but with the deer population collapsing as it is up in the area of my property, I will do anything I can to help it. And whether a live coyote can get a fawn or not depends on which study you believe. However, there is no doubt that a dead coyote won't get a fawn.