To call or not to call...

fish dog

Personally, other then a pintail whistle and maybe a call or two on a snow goose call one in a while I don't use a call as I know I'm not good at it and I'm of the opinion that no calling is better then bad calling. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks. Is it better not to call unless you're good or does some bad calling at least make them turn their heads and look at your spread. Sometimes, on the refuges, I have to laugh when some of these guys (maybe a good name fro them would be "quackheads" since they want to "quack" so much) start blowing on a mallard call when there isn't a bird in the air like that will magically make one (or more) appear. And, to tell the truth, most of them sound like someone's trying to drown a duck before it can get away, LOL. Anyway, what do ya'all think?

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Fish I'm with U my calling aint worth a crap I get a few to come my way and others won't give me the time of day I try not to call to much but when I can get away from every one I do a bit more to try and pratice. I have had more than my shre of birds that I never see and drop right into the deeks with out a peep out of me. For me less is better.

Had a guy last year @ SJ hailing on a mallard call non stop for what seemed like 20 mins while a flock of about 100 pintails circled a big pond we were on Right as the last part of the flock had figured out they had had enough and were not going to land and were heading back to mystic I heard a guy in that blind say hey those are pintails and the mallard dude stopped calling long enough to hit a pintail whiste one time :smiley-shakehead-blue:

It drove me nuts at the time but afterword it was pretty funny :smiley-rock-on:

Skeet

buck feaver
I would have to agree no calling is better than bad calling. I do know what your talking about some guys love to call non stop.

Silver Mallard

Fish I'm with U my calling aint worth a crap I get a few to come my way and others won't give me the time of day I try not to call to much but when I can get away from every one I do a bit more to try and pratice. I have had more than my shre of birds that I never see and drop right into the deeks with out a peep out of me. For me less is better.

Had a guy last year @ SJ hailing on a mallard call non stop for what seemed like 20 mins while a flock of about 100 pintails circled a big pond we were on Right as the last part of the flock had figured out they had had enough and were not going to land and were heading back to mystic I heard a guy in that blind say hey those are pintails and the mallard dude stopped calling long enough to hit a pintail whiste one time :smiley-rock-on:

It drove me nuts at the time but afterword it was pretty funny :lol:

I remember I wanted to throw a brick at those guys :lol: :smiley-shakehead-blue:
But I'm with you let em work. Timing is everything.

RTIN

You get out of it what you put into it. Some guy's just don't put any time into bettering themselves on a call let alone hunting tacktics and it will show at the end of the day. You can't however blame the guy that only gets once or twice a year and wants to blow his new call..... heck I would do the same. As far as what call to blow and when. We can only learn by spending days in the field learning from our trials and tribulations and I'm sure we all have had them both. I have to agree that sitting in the next pond over to the guy that only gets out once a year can be :smiley-rock-on: but I don't let it ruin my hunt day, if anything it makes it better. :smiley-shakehead-blue:

Let the season begin!!!!!! I got some new calls. :lol:

Duckfan

Personally, other then a pintail whistle and maybe a call or two on a snow goose call one in a while I don't use a call as I know I'm not good at it and I'm of the opinion that no calling is better then bad calling. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks. Is it better not to call unless you're good or does some bad calling at least make them turn their heads and look at your spread.

I agree....and I am average at best on mallard calling. Whistles are easier to conquer....and I believe most (not all) hunters are better served to use the whistle - a little - than to blow the mallard hail calls all day long.

A little can go a loooooooooooooooooooong ways

Silver Mallard

You get out of it what you put into it. Some guy's just don't put any time into bettering themselves on a call let alone hunting tacktics and it will show at the end of the day. You can't however blame the guy that only gets once or twice a year and wants to blow his new call..... heck I would do the same. As far as what call to blow and when. We can only learn by spending days in the field learning from our trials and tribulations and I'm sure we all have had them both. I have to agree that sitting in the next pond over to the guy that only gets out once a year can be :smiley-shakehead-blue: but I don't let it ruin my hunt day, if anything it makes it better. :lol:

Let the season begin!!!!!! I got some new calls. :smiley-rock-on:
I agree with you Rob, dont get me wrong,they did'nt ruin my day, I got to spend the day with Fred the Gad and my son, things could'nt get any better. Just funny really, you had to be there. I agree you need to try those calls sometime right?

DDawg

Learning when not to call is as important or maybe more important than learning how to call.
If you can't call then don't.
However I would suggest that if you learn one note on a mallard call, learn to quack!
Just a basic clean quack will sometimes pull birds when the guy down the levee is blowing his lungs out & can't figure it out.
Remember, Quack Kills!

chuam

Learning when not to call is as important or maybe more important than learning how to call.
If you can't call then don't.
However I would suggest that if you learn one note on a mallard call, learn to quack!
Just a basic clean quack will sometimes pull birds when the guy down the levee is blowing his lungs out & can't figure it out.
Remember, Quack Kills!

I have to agree. A nice content hen quack is the best call around. Rarely will I ever blow a hail call. Once in a while just to get the attention of a duck but usually that duck isn't interested anyways.

Nothing worse than someone who can't call or knowing when to call. I've had days when guys would be blowing on their call all day with nothing flying. It wouldn't have been so bad if they could call but they sounded horrible.

A pintail whistle and a drake mallard whistle are all you will ever need.

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
DDawg that was my gig for a long time and still is, the single quack used sparingly and you would be surprised how many times I had a bird turn and come take a look. :smiley-shakehead-blue: same with the whistle.

I call BS on the guy playing Yankee doodle dandy on his call Rob the worst thing about it was he had his kid with him and was teaching him the same, not to mention throwing up a dead bird and shooting in the air to train his dog when it got slow and the blind he was in controls IMO half the refuge. SJ sucks IMO..
Did have a great day sharing a blind with a buddy and his son and the memory of the yahoo will be shared around the campfire for years to come. :lol:

Sorry fish dog didn't mean to get off topic I'm sure Rtin will be more than happy to take the blame for my Minny tirade :smiley-rock-on:

Rob :lol: :D

outdoorplay

Founder
quack...........................................................................
............quack....................................................

and if they quack back I would give them what they give me, no more no less, even if they circle a few times, I only will talk back to them after my first quack even if they fly off. I have had them fly a way and then off in the distance just about out of site turn and fly right back to me and try to land

on a whistle its close to the same, but I'm just a little more aggressive............ it depends on what I hear the day before when I'm scouting and bird watching.

If a person can't identify what kind of duck it is in the air, then DON'T CALL entail you can

If you can identify in flight then try just one quack or just one whistle and see how that works for you.

Also go to your local park and call at the ducks that are flying, listen to the ones one the water, you can tell when they are talking to you.

If you can't do a good quack or a good whistle, don't know your ducks and you don't know your calls, don't even take them out of the truck. And spend more time at the park after work and on the weekends entail you can.

if your not 100% sure if your doing it right do everyone a favor and leave them at home.

:smiley-shakehead-blue:

sdhunter

Agree with most so far, bad calling worst then no calling.

Now Wister is one thing, with guys all around you in every direction. But where I spend a few days, when I can't see any birds, and it's been dead for awhile (long lull), I'll let out a single quack, whistle or hrr-onk, and every once in awhile I get surprised.

It's really strange though, the damn mallard hail call works more on spoonies than mallards....go figure :smiley-shakehead-blue:

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
When my blind partners tell me I'm scaring the birds, it's time to shut up. It takes talent to made a DR-85 sound like finger nails on a blackboard. :afraid_face:

Lujack

Mr. September
I think getting a good read on the birds and responding to the cues they give you is the most important aspect of calling waterfowl. The whole purpose for calling ducks is to get them to come to your decoys. If they are comming straight at you then there is no real reason to call. My general rule of thumb is call loudly when the ducks are in the distance in order to get their attention, but back way off as soon as you get it. It is then very important to keep an eye on the duck as his following actions will dictate what you do with your call next. This is where nothing can replace field experience.

If the bird is cupped up on your decoys then you should not do much calling if any. If he is cupped up but then turns to the side and starts beating his wings again, I will give him a fast but short greeting call. If he turns back toward me, then it is a series of single quacks until he is lined back up on the decoys. If the first greeting call does not do the trick, then I follow up with a drawn out five or six note pleading call. This will often line the duck back up, in fact it is one of my favorite calls to use. If ducks are flying circles around the decoys, just out of shooting range, then I will use soft feeding calls with occasional quacks mixed in when needed. The ducks will do one of two things, they will finally come into the decoys, or they will go somewhere else. Either way you just learned something.

AC73

To me calling is part of what makes hunting so damb fun. I think what you put into it is what your going to
get out of it. Reading the birds is another key factor to calling, finding that sweet music they want to hear.
Just because there pintail doesn't mean you can't blow a mallard call at them over a whistle, many of times
I've seen when spring flared off a whistle to land into a soft feed chatter, or widegeon not wanting to
come into a whistle as well. Later in the season I usualy watch how the birds react to calling, even good
calling turns birds off. Lujac and RTIN made some good on some key factors. Calling is almost like going
fishing and finding that lure, you pick that bait the fish want and crave for they start jumping in the boat,
it's just like calling, you hit the right notes that day and you'll have the birds eating your lunch.
I've had at times where it was soft single quacks and then backed off and let them use the wind to get into the pond.
I think good calling is one of the key indgredients to good waterfowl hunting.