Tight lines in spite of closures

sloth1833

Reaction score
So, I don't know how many of you have heard about the closure of 183 MILES of the Yellowstone River but it is bad. A parasite that causes kidney failure in salmonoid species. It started over a week ago with a bunch of white fish washing up dead around Livingston. So they have closed the 'stone and all tributaries to all forms of recreation. This put extra pressure on some of the other waterways around the state.
Tail waters are staying cool and flows are at sustainable levels. All of that being said, me and a buddy floated the Big Horn river Sunday. We decided to hit a stretch that he had floated once, I had never floated that stretch, and it is less traveled . It ended up being one of the best days of fishing I have ever had.
We got on the water early and started tossing drys at rising trout. The first fish I landed was a feisty 16.5" 'bow.

View attachment 67584

That was the smallest bow I landed all day... A few browns were between 12-16 and one around 18. In the 10 mile float we ended up with a 45+ fish day between the both of us.

View attachment 67585

The stars aligned, no wind, a great hatch and we figured out the zones they were held up in when the dry fly action subsided. Amazing day on the water, and the best part, we only saw maybe 10 other boats in 11 hours. I might just go back while the bite is still on! Hope everyone is having a good time this this year and keeping the lines tight.

Attachments

• VZM.IMG_20160821_180756.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20160821_180756.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 0
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Brent,

Congrats......Gods country for sure....... :smiley_10sign:

Hope to see you in a few weeks.

Nimrod

Reaction score
Awesome! Fished the Big Horn last year at this time with my buddy and a guide. It was a great 2 days! Bucket list stuff for me...we didn't manage 45+ fish in a day though! (perhaps because I was just learning...) Congrats! Hope you can do it again!

sloth1833

Reaction score
I have had very few 20+ fish days. But when you show up and trout are feasting and it looks like a tuna boil, you know you will have a good day. Next time any TOFer heads this way let me know, we will grab some brown and share some stories!

montana13

Reaction score
Very nice! I fished the Big Horn several years ago. It's a great river. Sad to hear the news about the Yellowstone. Hopefully, it doesn't spread.