Thinking of purchasing a new truck

duck-boy

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Eco diesel 4X4 Crew Cab with the air bag system. 27000 mi on it. No issues. 25 mi to work one way, half hwy half city getting about 20mpg. Road trips from 24 to 26mpg. Others claim more. Towing capacity is 9200lbs i believe which isnt a whole lot. Turning radius is not great. No issues to date. I love the ride of the truck.

Just a FYI

madhunter

Reaction score
DEF is becoming a real issue for me. I am having serious problems with the dealer not knowing how to service the DEF on my 2015 GMC Duramax with 88,000 miles on it. I fight the same battle with three of our 2013 Peterbilts running Cummins engines. I think that the CA emissions laws are out pacing the manufacture's abilities and they are producing crap DEF systems. I am thinking about trading the Duramax in for a gas engine pick up and trading the Pete's in for new trucks with updated DEF systems. It really seams like a band aid system like the old smog pumps. I had one truck break down East of the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge in North Western Nevada on a Saturday.

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
Love my tundra. When I was shopping new truck wasn't much more than a used one... so I went new.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
don't like anynew truck...... Im a used guy and I just dread the day I have to buy my next one,
with that said I own a 2005 F250 4x4 with 200K on it. I only drive it when Im towing, hunting or fishing.

other then that I drive a 1990 Toyota Camry........

Ya I know I look HOT AS HELL IN THAT BAD BOY............

when the day comes, I will buy a Cummings the year just before DEF came out.

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Took the Ram in for its 2nd oil change and a very soft squeak ....... WTF..... bad water pump?

I will find out the full scoop when I pick up tomorrow.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
madhunter said:
.....I had one truck break down East of the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge in North Western Nevada on a Saturday.
Did you see any dove?

madhunter

Reaction score
I wasn't driving Pete that broke down in gods country, just dispatching him. The driver didn't mention any dove, if he did I couldn't hear it between all the mf this and mf that. Next time I will demand a Dove report before I call the tow truck to come get him.

200MPHTape

Reaction score
socal duckie said:
Took the Ram in for its 2nd oil change and a very soft squeak ....... WTF..... bad water pump?

Tensioner pulley about to grenade!

fish dog

Reaction score
socal duckie said:

Well, should be under warranty still.

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Dam water pump was going out so they replaced it.

From the sound I thought it was the tensioner.... would have bet money and lost!

Yes was under warranty..... but still concerning that it went out in a year!

Fowl Play

Reaction score
Bummer, yah that's definitely concerning having mechanical issues at 1 year. How's the paint on the new Dodges? The paint on my new GMC sucks... super thin. Only have a couple offroad trips under my belt and already I have a few scratches down to the metal... in contrast, I beat the hell out of my old Frontier and never had any scratches make it through the clear coat. Apparently its the new EPA standard which mandates water based paints in the US. Allot of complaints with the new Tacomas as well.

fish dog

Reaction score
socal duckie said:
Dam water pump was going out so they replaced it.

From the sound I thought it was the tensioner.... would have bet money and lost!

Yes was under warranty..... but still concerning that it went out in a year!
Can't argue with your feeling that it is concerning but any particular part in any particular vehicle can be defective. As long as it isn't something that seems to be common to most of those engines I wouldn't worry too much about it. On the other hand if you're reading on the Ram forums and hearing from people that have the same power plant that they're having the same problem then I would worry.

earl55

Reaction score
Well took the plunge and bought a 2016 Ford F-150 4x4. Thing hauls butt and rides nice and comfy. Merry xmas!

fishingkid

Reaction score
I have the 2015 ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins getting close to 40,000 I had a check engine light come on half way to wister few weeks back then it shut off never came back then last weekend I was coming home from deer hunting had several beeps and screen kept flashing service def system after 15 miles it went away has not come back other then that no issues I have the tradesmen model got a smoking deal on it traded in my 2007 Tacoma with 150,000 miles.

fish dog

Reaction score
fishingkid said:
I have the 2015 ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins getting close to 40,000 I had a check engine light come on half way to wister few weeks back then it shut off never came back then last weekend I was coming home from deer hunting had several beeps and screen kept flashing service def system after 15 miles it went away has not come back other then that no issues I have the tradesmen model got a smoking deal on it traded in my 2007 Tacoma with 150,000 miles.
I have a 2016 version of your truck. I've been reading some of the Ram truck forums that people get occasional computer "glitches" that resolve themselves. Kind of like when you start your computer and something doesn't seem to work right but then you re-boot and everything's fine. I had an error in my TPMS pop up and was going to take it in to the dealer but then, after about 4 or 5 stops running around town, it went away, so who knows. If you're getting DEF error messages sometime its because you put "old" DEF in the truck. From what I've read DEF has a shelf life and you shouldn't put DEF in the truck older then about 6 months. Of course they had to make it impossible to tell the date of manufacture on the box or jug of DEF unless you know how to read the code. (explained here: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/1273497-peak-def-date-code.html ) You'd think they'd just put a damn date on it instead of doing this.