Thinking of purchasing a new truck

earl55

Reaction score
Hey all,

Need to purchase a new and more reliable vehicle. Both my vehicles, car and truck, are over 150K miles. Going to ditch both when I purchase my new truck. I am currently stuck between two: Ford F-150, either eco-boost or V8, and Dodge 1500 with eco diesel. If you guys have any experience with these vehicles and have some comments please let me know. Thank you all.

longduck

Reaction score
304,00 on my Toyota Tacoma.......just saying. ;)

earl55

Reaction score
I know what you are saying, but I want more towing capabilities as well as space

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
Reaction score
I was snooping around the other day just a fleeting thought...new truck...looking at 2500 4 by...friken sticker friken shock doubt if I pulled the trigger I would go new

earl55

Reaction score
No I am definitely going used.....................let someone else take the big depreciation hit.

JNDEER

Reaction score
earl there was a discussion earlier about the eco and some chimmed in with some facts.

Reaction score
I have the F150 ecoboost twin turbo v6 and love it. BUT if I could of afforded the dodge one you are talking about, I might of given that a try

I went carmaxx, 1 year old, and let someone else feel the depreciation off the top.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
My SIL has a 2014 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost......Really nice truck and I think he gets around 18-24 mpg.

Another friend has the new 2016 Eco-Diesel......Said he gets 28 mpg on the open road.....But, it is a Chrysler product..... :smiley-wnk-yellow:

fish dog

Reaction score
I just got a Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel about 2 month ago. (I did a post on it in the hunting rigs forum). I was considering the 1500 with the Ecodiesel but my son, who is a diesel mechanic, told me he had reservations about the Ecodiesel. Now to quilify he does work on those large diesel generators that take over to generate electricity in big buildings like hospitals etc. when the power goes out but, apparently, he's had to deal with some of the engines that are made by the same company that makes the Ecodiesel and they've had problems with them. Anyway, he's not impressed. When it comes to diesels I don't question his judgement. The Cummins, on the other hand, he said was "bulletproof". He said as long as I do the maintenance I could probably get 300,000 miles out of it. I know its somewhat more expensive for the 2500 with the Cummins but you have something that will carry and pull a lot more then the 1500 and, at my age at least, might well last me the rest of my life. So I bit the bullet and put down the extra dinero. Oh, BTW, check this out...

Not bad MPG for an approximately 7200 pound 4X4 truck. That was on a trip from Apple Valley to Huntington Beach.

Fowl Play

Reaction score
Not sure what you're trying to spend but might be worth giving the new vehicles at least a look. This is the time of year they're trying to get last year's models off the lot. I just purchased a 2016 GMC Canyon for 12k off sticker price. Couldn't even find a used vehicle for that deal. Both trucks you're looking at are very nice. I'm sure you'd be happy with either. As for the toyotas... they're nice trucks as well, but before you put you're family in one, know that they are the most likely to flip in an accident. Just had a buddy pass away when his taco flipped in a very similar situation to this video. http://youtu.be/xoHbn8-ROiQ

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Dodge dodge dodge!!!

We have the 2500 with the big gas sucker in it.... not the best mileage but it's got balls!!!!

I have a real good friend that runs the 1500 with the diesel..... on the conservative side he puts 40k a year on his trucks (farming industry)..... its 2 years old and hasn't had a hiccup!!

Just my .2 cintavos

shadowlawnskysthelimit

Reaction score
Currently have a 2014 2500 4x4 Dodge Double Cab w diesel. My last truck (2003) was the exact same truck; got rid of it at 300K miles. Motor probably could have gone another 150K +, but truck was falling apart around it. I cant afford to have a vehicle that does not make it every day !

Only problem I have with the new one is the DEF, Diesel Emissions Fluid. At 30 K miles the check engine light came on, dealer had the truck for 2 days. told me they had to reprogram some stuff, and if I have any problems bring it back. Ok! On the way home I see one of the codes abbreviates something that looks like Catalytic Converter. Next morning I spoke with the guys that took care of my old diesel truck. He tells me the code tells him the Converter is out or is going out. That night I looked on line and found that the DEF was crystalizing and burning holes in the converter. It was also effecting other parts as well. Great !!

Next morning check engine light is on again. I tell the guy at the dealership about my new found knowledge, he denies it. Day 2 I go to the dealership to find out WTH; theres my truck, with some cat rewiring a sensor with my old CC laying on the ground. Dude tells me Dodge instructs them to reprogram first and if a must change the CC. Reason for the delay; CC, new sensors and labor is 4 grand.

Supposedly Dodge is going going to be required to do a recall.

After I got my truck back I stopped by the guys shop that I spoke of before; to pick his brain. He tells me that all makes of diesel trucks are having problems due to the DEF; and he drives a 2016 1500 Dodge Diesel.

This what I learned:

DEF crystals when exposed to high heat can burn holes in some metals. Also is bad on seals and hoses in other trucks.
When purchasing DEF, make sure it is not out of date, DEF begins to crystalize on its own.
Some places have DEF at the pump, just like gas. Don't use it; using it forces crystals from the tank and delivery system into your vehicle.
Change your fuel filter often.
One the mechanics customers had a brand new 2016 Ford 250 Double Cab 4x4; the top of the line truck. In Canada on vacation, the truck would not start, closet dealership was 100 miles away. The dealer tells the guy the trucks computer is stating the DEF tank is empty, but it is full. They change some sensor(s); half way home it happens again. this time it is a holiday weekend and the guy is livid. He has a $65000 truck that he cant even drive. I think he paid to much !! Besides it was a Ford, lol!!!

IMHO if you can afford the initial cost for the diesel engine, and you need the towing capabilities then you cant beat the diesel truck, especially the Dodge !! Would not own anything different. If I was buying a V8 it would be the Chevy.

socalcowboy

Reaction score
How funny - I have been on the fence also... and so far not convinced either way except Im a FORD guy... I have only owned two other cars - a toyota my first car hand me down and a first car out of the service - Dodge shadow cause I couldnt get anything else.( hated that grandpa car at 24 year old ).... but since FORD's... oh and that hamster car my wife wanted...

So Ford F150 - V6 w/ecoboost or the Dodge Ram with the eco diesel

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
I currently own trucks from GM (K1500), Toyota (second gen Tundra), and Dodge (PW). The Dodge is, by a huge margin, the best of the bunch in every way except gas mileage. The EcoDiesel seems like a very good vehicle, if it will do what you need. Cummins is overkill for most users, so think about a Dodge 1500 or 2500 with a Hemi. I'd stay away from the EcoBoost because of the engine complexity and the aluminum bodies on the newer ones. Just too many things that can go wrong with the Ford if you plan to keep it a long time.

earl55

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information. Its is nice to get the everyones diverse opinions on rigs. I would really like to get a one ton diesel truck but can't justify that purchase since I am not hauling trailers or heavy payloads often. I am leaning more towards the V8 F-150 since it has the towing capabilities that suites me and is not as complicated as the eco boosts. Just have to find the financing that fits my needs.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Have 355K on the 98'Tacoma and got a new/used 01' F-150 Offroad Lariat 4x4 w/63k last year for back up luxury rig. It tows the trailer and hauls the firewood and bales now. One owner and it was way cheeper than even a used Tacoma. About the same mileage as my Tacoma too,V8.
I saw the prices of new trucks. Roughly 4 times what I paid for my 1st home on 10 ac.......lol