The planets re aligned

paulc

Reaction score
After AZ humbled me and beat me down, I had no time to lick my wounds. After Zach gave up his opening day for his coues hunt in NM (a unit we have never stepped foot in) I took one day to catch up on business at home, then I went out to scout the unit. Dickweed had finals this week so there was not skipping class. I got out Wed, set up camp not knowing we were about to get a ridiculous cold spell. My first day scouting scared me. Saw no coues, logged 11 miles, and saw very little sign. This is a border unit, so Border Patrol was out in force on the roads, and in the back country on horse back, airplane and helicopter.

The next day Z was out and we hit an area way back in there after a 7 degree night in my tiny uninsulated trailer. Condensation froze mattresses to walls, and every bottle of water was frozen solid. We saw some coues, but, nothing big. Again, nothing like our late December hunts in AZ when they are rutting. We were getting a little worried. Next morning more of the same, very few after glassing our eyes off.

The evening of the second day in the evening Zman glassed up this buck in 20+ mph winds. Made a great stalk and I watched in the 15x binos as the 300 ultra blew hair and insides everywhere. Had one day left to hunt, but, we had a feeling we were not going to find a better buck the last day we had. Felt bad he gave up 2 of the 4 days he had to hunt to help me in AZ and that we could not give the unit a better chance. But, it was a big boost for him and his buddy to show up for the last weekend of my AZ hunt.

First day scouting. freezing my ass off in the snow. wet cold and discouraged.

View attachment 71068

Good times. No way we could take pic of back half of deer. luckily only lost some back strap.

View attachment 71069

View attachment 71070

Dickweed about to get mad at me for taking crappy pics for his instagram posts. To think he used to get mad at me for taking 20 minutes to take pics, now he is the one that is anal about it.

View attachment 71071

Attachments

• IMG_2863.JPG
    IMG_2863.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2889.jpg
    IMG_2889.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 0
  • fullsizeoutput_13df.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_13df.jpeg
    539 KB · Views: 0
  • fullsizeoutput_13e1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_13e1.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 0

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
I like coues deer alot Paul!! Way to go dickweed!! I'm coming back from Flagstaff myself with knucklehead #3...tis the season with our kids for sure..

paulc

Reaction score
hatchet1 said:
I like coues deer alot Paul!! Way to go dickweed!! I'm coming back from Flagstaff myself with knucklehead #3...tis the season with our kids for sure..
Coues are a blast for sure.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
That's a nice Coues! Strong work, again.

On another note, Hushin's movie (February) is about their NM bull hunts. I'm wondering if there will be any DW and PC involvement/help in the flick?

Nevertheless, good sh!t. Kapoooow!

paulc

Reaction score
snoopdogg said:
That's a nice Coues! Strong work, again.

On another note, Hushin's movie (February) is about their NM bull hunts. I'm wondering if there will be any DW and PC involvement/help in the flick?

Nevertheless, good sh!t. Kapoooow!
They killed with our friend Chris, so we may not be in it. I wandered off everytime they filmed, but, Zach was with them quite a bit. Cool if we do not get any video recognition, Zach is stoked about the Hushin version of the .300 Weatherby mag. He is supposed to get it in Feb. That was cool.

JNDEER

Reaction score
Way to make it happen with the short time frame. That looks like a great coues to me.

but really.. rolling with all the high end gear ...and a non-insulated trailer that froze solid?? lol

paulc

Reaction score
JNDEER said:
Way to make it happen with the short time frame. That looks like a great coues to me.

but really.. rolling with all the high end gear ...and a non-insulated trailer that froze solid?? lol
Single wall dinky fiberglass trailer. Barely sleeps 2 in 1 bed. Just slightly better than a tent trailer. Built in 1970. Miserable cold.

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
Nice job Zach! Great looking Coues for sure!

Paul, you're looking less of a man these days! Good work.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Congrats Zach.....Another great hunt for you two..... :smiley_10sign:

paulc

Reaction score
Lots of border patrol activity back there. Should have built a wall 50 years ago. The amount of resources wasted on chasing smugglers with mediocre affect is crazy. At least if most of the area was sealed then the few spots resources could be concentrated. long run, money would be saved with a good wall on most the border.

Been listening to lying politicians to long. Drugs, illegals and terrorism have a good chance of coming in through the border as it is now.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
Agreed Paul..we hunt a unit down south that's hammered with border patrol.. actually have used them for knowledge and tips on good areas..as those guys look thru the glass more than anybody and night hunt ( for humans)..they see alot of critters in the desert..tuff job..

paulc

Reaction score
hatchet1 said:
Agreed Paul..we hunt a unit down south that's hammered with border patrol.. actually have used them for knowledge and tips on good areas..as those guys look thru the glass more than anybody and night hunt ( for humans)..they see alot of critters in the desert..tuff job..
Great idea. The guys on horses told us we were in a good spot, but, we should have picked their brain a little more.

ofdscooby

Reaction score
Hell yeah a coues is on the bucket list I heard they are fun as hell.