The MFer ruined my gun...

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
[SIZE=11pt]I don't even know where to start. I've been hunting with Betsy sense I was a young. She was build for a sniper in Vietnam spent $1200 back the, but when he got out he found that he could not longer shot it was just to hard for him. So he was good friend with a family member and he asked him if he know anyone that would give his gun a good home that would use as it was build for. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]So that's how I got the gun back when I was about 20 years old. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Talk about a tack driver. I have one shot every deer and elk [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]sense[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] I started hunting with it. and I mean [/SIZE]dropping[SIZE=11pt] elk out to 500 yards.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Well long story short decided to get a new scope, so I got The Eliminator 3, (I know way over kill for this gun, but my next gun will be a 300 WM and that is what it is really for) was very excited got it mounted and took it out today for the first shooting and to get [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]conferrable with it[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]so I start off at 50 yards just to cuz it's brand new mounts not bore sighted or anything and I do the poor man's version and look down barrel with the action out of the gun, for those that know this trick it works good for getting you close enough to dial your self in. and it works and my group holes are touching each other. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Then I made it out to a hundred yards and I take my first shot and I don't even HIT THE PAPER........ and we're talking about a Target that's 2 foot by 2 foot. So I take the action back out and look down the inside of the barrel, and it like a foot in a half to the left of the target... so I try to bring it back and then I run out of windage and I'm like this can't be possibly right.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]So I start looking at the mount and without a meter or anything I could look at this thing and see that it's cockeyed (not center) and not even the same.....#@!#@[email protected]##@[email protected]#............... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]so I just spent two and a half hours driving out the Hodge Road cuz it's like a hundred and fifty-six miles for me to get there planning on spending the day out there enjoying the day and shooting with my boy and now I'm just absolutely livid I come home and [/SIZE]measure[SIZE=11pt] it.... and this is what these morons did, they mounted the front 100,000 off center and the back is 60,000 off center so not only is it not centered but it's cockeyed...#!$% are $%#@! kidding me........... the gun will never be a shooter again I cannot even say how destroyed I am I'm right know........ not a young man and I have been shooting this gun for almost 30 years. I can [/SIZE]accurately[SIZE=11pt] shot it with one shot kill [/SIZE]accurately[SIZE=11pt] out to 500 yards....... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I'm so mad I can't even think [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]straight[/SIZE]

JNDEER

Reaction score
I followed most of it... so you took the gun to have a new mount and rings put on for the new scope you purchased... and they mounted the bases wrong which makes the scope off... what i am confused about is the bases not moveable now? like can you just unscrew it and put it on correctly?

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
I had to buy Redfield adjustable mounts for a Mod. 700 because the drilled and tapped mounting ports on the rifle were off center from each other which made it impossible to mount the front and back rings inline with each other. There wasn't enough adjustment in the scope to make up for misalignment of rings.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
Mike, remember, anything can be fixed. All it takes is $$$$.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Doh! That SUCKS! Who recommended that Smith?
Just make that mf'r pay for getting it fixed right.
If it happened to me , I would reach out to one of the 'guns and gunsmiths' gurus. They'll know how to get her back on target.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Don't forget that the bore did not change. Holes can be filled. New holes can be drilled again, hopefully in the right place next time. Bore will still be straight. Make em pay to have it done right.

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score

TheGDog

Reaction score
I'm assuming you were shooting the same ammo the whole time?

When I first got my .308. 2nd time I went to shoot it, with this budget Fiochi ammo.. they weren't even hitting the paper! Blew my mind! Switched back over to the expensive stuff I initially dialed-in with.. boom... right back on target.

Recommend those DNZ Game Reaper 1-piece scope mounts. They are nice and TOUGH!

They cleared up the issue I was having with the stock Rem 783 mounts of my .223 bolt gun. I'd got a little too heavy-handed with one of the Allen screws and stripped it just a hair. It was allowing the scope body to waggle a little bit within the mount. So the two "groupings" would be a certain amount away from center on either side of the target. One shot knocks it one way. 1 or 2 more shots it gets knocked the other direction that little bit, and it's all it takes. The DNZ mount? Oh yeah... straightened that mess right out!

I've not been lucky enough in my life to take far shots on any game animal yet. But.. I was able to pop a bottle with it at 200yds using the BDC Reticle.

Zach

Reaction score
Is it possible the Burris glass is bad?

I could buy a couple rifles for what you bought that scope for, assuming retail prices.

ofdscooby

Reaction score
How many MOA is in the new scope compared to the old scope. If the old scope had 60 MOA of adjustment and the new one only has say 40 MOA maybe the holes where the rings mount were crooked from the beginning and your rifle needs say 50 to get sighted in. That would mean if new scope only has 40 MOA of adjustment it will never work. What kind of rings were on the old setup vs the new. I can tell you that if your using Burris rings and a Burris eliminator scope you'll probably never get that combo shooting again their stuff is all gimmicks. I'm betting that the new scope has a different height rings as well which could have been a factor. I've seen guys go with really high rings and the scope cant bottom out enough so at the lowest setting you're basically sighted in at 400 yards. If you're ever in the Fallbrook I'll dial it in for free its not that hard.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
ok here is the update, I took it back explained what was wrong and how it would never shoot again like this, we took it down to the barrel and now I can see they did not tap and die it. they are the original holes as this was a military gun that was sporterized back in the Vietnam days. the iron sights were adjustable and it was very comen to no that the holes centered. so after talking and I wanted to do the best way posable, we Plugged the missed drilled holes, welded sanded down smooth, and retaped. I will be taking it to the range tomorrow and I will give you a report when I get home

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
GUNDOGLOVER said:
I had to buy Redfield adjustable mounts for a Mod. 700 because the drilled and tapped mounting ports on the rifle were off center from each other which made it impossible to mount the front and back rings inline with each other. There wasn't enough adjustment in the scope to make up for misalignment of rings.
that the mount that I had on my old scoop

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
Aeon said:
contact this guy...
http://www.chesebrorifles.com

just get new holes drilled for the scope mounts, any competent smith should be no problem but mark will make it accurate to the nearest 1/100000000000000000 of a inch
I do a lot of work in arrow space and that's accurate that I would expect buy
law I have to allow them to fix the mistake. to come and find out that they did not mess up they just did not do their part and make sure it was centered before it left their shop

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
Zach said:

I could buy a couple rifles for what you bought that scope for, assuming retail prices.
I know but I have not bought myself something over the top in a long time. and I really like the range finder in the scope

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
ofdscooby said:
How many MOA is in the new scope compared to the old scope. If the old scope had 60 MOA of adjustment and the new one only has say 40 MOA maybe the holes where the rings mount were crooked from the beginning and your rifle needs say 50 to get sighted in. That would mean if new scope only has 40 MOA of adjustment it will never work. What kind of rings were on the old setup vs the new. I can tell you that if your using Burris rings and a Burris eliminator scope you'll probably never get that combo shooting again their stuff is all gimmicks. I'm betting that the new scope has a different height rings as well which could have been a factor. I've seen guys go with really high rings and the scope cant bottom out enough so at the lowest setting you're basically sighted in at 400 yards. If you're ever in the Fallbrook I'll dial it in for free its not that hard.
no, the old scope mount had adjustments to center miss centered holes

Zach

Reaction score
outdoorplay said:

I know but I have not bought myself something over the top in a long time. and I really like the range finder in the scope
Would like to see some pics, might save someone a future headache.
I hear you on going over the top. Bought my last gun at the ranch supply store, put a used scope on it. Someday I'll have some free money.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
[SIZE=11pt]Okay, so I just got back from shooting this morning. It did take two boxes of shells which Normally only takes me about 6 to 10 shots. But I did use that other scoop for 30 years and I know it like the back of my hand. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Well, I have good news, I finally got its zeroed in. so know I know it's on so I take my 200-yard shot…. right in the bulls-eye, so I take a second shot at 200, holes touching each bullseye, so I push the button at the 300-yard target…. Bam bullseye… next to the 400 and then the 500. The farthest target they have is 615 yards right so I push the button and BAM direct hit……[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]So I'd say it has been fixed correctly and she's back to the old tack driver I am used to… leave for my NM hunt in 6 days OOOPPPP OOOPPPP[/SIZE]

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
Zach said:

Would like to see some pics, might save someone a future headache.
I hear you on going over the top. Bought my last gun at the ranch supply store, put a used scope on it. Someday I'll have some free money.

Attachments

• .0new scope.JPG
    .0new scope.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 7
  • .0new scope 1.JPG
    .0new scope 1.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 7