The boy's first limit

sdbrewer

Reaction score
I got a very good draw for Saturday. Invited a fellow TOF'er and his friend to hunt with us. Got some great info from another TOF'er -- Thanks! -- and had a great hunt! My son is in his second season and has a fair number of birds to his name. He had not, however, shot a widgeon before. That was his goal this weekend and he got it done in style shooting three nice drakes. Thanks to some great calling and a nice decoy spread courtesy of our blind partners, he also shot his first limit which included gads, gwt and a queen (hen spoon). When he reached six birds, I asked him what he was going to shoot to finish his limit (cocky, but it was that kind of day). He thought he might hold out for a bull sprig but said that he would probably shoot a nice drake widgeon too if it came in nicely. Well, shortly thereafter a nice flock of 10 or 15 widgeon decoyed right in. I was watching my son and saw him pick out the most plumed-out drake in the group and drop it. Proud papa moment for sure -- he was calm, calculating and deadly. His shooting put me to shame but I managed to end in style with a bull sprig and nice drake widgeon just after mid-day. Fun Day!

View attachment 43105

Attachments

• Cass__FirstLimitCropped.JPG
    Cass__FirstLimitCropped.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 161

dylan

News Maker
Reaction score
Thats awesome!! :smiley_10sign:

Nimrod

Reaction score
Congrats to you both! :smiley_10sign: Undoubtedly a memory that will last a lifetime...

just_ducky_1

Reaction score
Great news Whit. Good job Lil Whit! Good seeing you out there on the opener.

TwoShot

Reaction score
Wtg there dad, its hard to beat watching your son have a great day in the marsh. Good to see you passing the gratitute around also. Keep up the good work and congrats to your son on his first limit and first drake widgeon.

MarshRat

Reaction score
Way to go SDBrewer. Congratulations to the two of you, what an awesome day. Not sure where you hunted, but it looks like a great area. Sons, grandsons, nephews, daughters, grand daughters and nieces make some of the best "blind partners." It appears you have taught your son well, hats off to you sir!!

One Track

Reaction score
Gotta be one of the best days of both your lives! Congrats to Cass and Dad!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Congrats Whit & Cass........................I think that DR-85 around Cass's neck was the secret to your success........................ :lol: