Temecula trip. - Fly into ONT or SAN

2rocky

Work trip on a Tuesday and Wed. Might try to add a day or two for touristing. Should I fly into and out of Ontario or San Diego?

I've done this trip 4 times when the meeting was held in San Diego. Seen much of that area. Something between ONT and Temecula worth checking out? Maybe stay a night?

I can book flight tickets for $49 each way today. Gotta pick....

GUNDOGLOVER

Take a tour of wine country in Temecula. I would think ONT would be best only because of traffic. But, in So. Ca. one never knows.

2rocky

TripAdvisor seemed to think ONT was better.

If Ed was still there I'd stop and see him along the way.

There are some pretty good deals on Southwest right now through the end of the day. $49 on a weekday $79 for some weekend days. I booked a Sunday flight down and I'm returning Wednesday evening.

Meeting is at the Pechanga Resort. Guess I better take some golf lessons...

Other ideas for specific activities like Wineries to visit? Good dining or places to dance?

2rocky

Zach said:
SNA not an option?
Was an option ...Cheapest was $96 each way. it was only 3 miles closer.

According to TripAdvisor:

- the best airport to use to get to Temecula is Ontario. Second choice would be San Diego, 3rd would be Orange County. Ontario is closer than SD or OC by about 15 minutes. SD is usually more expensive than the other 2, but Orange County, while sometimes cheaper than Ontario, is hard to get to/from during traffic hours, but if you are traveling mid-day - its a very quiet and comfortable airport to use

GUNDOGLOVER

Go up Rancho California rd. Something like fifteen wineries up there. There is a wine tour company in the area.

paulc

I liked Ontario much better than San Diego Airport. Easier to get in and out of, and less likely to get hung up in traffic going to San Diego. As far as sites.... Got nothing

Ducky's Dad

Use Ontario, especially if you are arriving on a weekday afternoon. Traffic north from San Diego is just horrible, but south from Ontario is not that bad. When you leave town it's kind of the opposite in the afternoons, but I'd still use Ontario. Ontario airport is right at the 15 freeway, so just hop in the car and head south.

Aside from wineries, you could take a balloon ride over the wine country. Sometimes there will be 10-15 balloons in the air on a Saturday morning. Old Town is kind of touristy, but there are some good restaurants. Usually a fair number of street rods and motorcycles in town on a Saturday. Lots of redneck bikers if you like Harleys. Best golf course is supposed to be Redhawk. There is usually some equestrian stuff going on but I have no idea how to find it. Pechanga often has some big acts in their show room, so check their website.

BigWave

Fly in to Ontario for ease, IMO. Temecula Valley wineries are fun. They've gotten expensive as of late. Old town Temecula is fun. Lots of great little shops, restaurants and bars. Go take a hike up on the Santa Rosa Plateau in to the Adobes on the original Vail Ranch. Take Clinton Keith Rd to the end and veer right for about a half mile to find the trailhead. I lived there as a kid for about 8 years. Some of the best memories I have from my childhood. It's an amazing place to adventure around. Trails for days! HMU if you have any questions about it John.

BOWUNTR

TOF is getting soft.... There are no strip clubs in Temecula... I checked. I know John, he's not a winery or balloon rider. Take an Uber to Stone Brewery, drink 7-8 IPA's, sleep in and skip the Wednesday meeting.... that's what I'd do... Ed F

2rocky

BigWave said:
Fly in to Ontario for ease, IMO. Temecula Valley wineries are fun. They've gotten expensive as of late. Old town Temecula is fun. Lots of great little shops, restaurants and bars. Go take a hike up on the Santa Rosa Plateau in to the Adobes on the original Vail Ranch. Take Clinton Keith Rd to the end and veer right for about a half mile to find the trailhead. I lived there as a kid for about 8 years. Some of the best memories I have from my childhood. It's an amazing place to adventure around. Trails for days! HMU if you have any questions about it John.
My uncle "dated" Nita Vail for a while. If I have my family tree right Walter Vail was her great grandfather who also had a partnership with Vickers on the Santa Rosa Island.

2rocky

Ed you are lucky we don't live closer to each other. You are truly my no-Homo Man Crush....Lets get Elk tags in Nevada, kill a couple of bulls in Jarbidge, drink a couple of Picons at the Star, and tour the back streets of Elko in 2020.

BOWUNTR

Lets roll... how many points you got? I drew last year and turned it back in because of my strip tag. I'm in need of some garlic shrimp... Ed F

Ducky's Dad

Well, if you were in Temecula today you could go to the Hot Wheels Power Tour in the WalMart parking lot! That's about as exciting as it gets around here.

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Driving miles between SD airport to Temecula versus Ontario to Temecula is almost exactly the same. Depending upon time of day, the drive from Ontario to Temecula is almost always quicker.

7DUX

GUNDOGLOVER said:
Go up Rancho California rd. Something like fifteen wineries up there. There is a wine tour company in the area.
There are about in Temecula now (not all on RC RD) and will probably double soon.

7DUX

BOWUNTR said:
TOF is getting soft.... There are no strip clubs in Temecula... I checked. I know John, he's not a winery or balloon rider. Take an Uber to Stone Brewery, drink 7-8 IPA's, sleep in and skip the Wednesday meeting.... that's what I'd do... Ed F
If you're a big enough a craft beer fan to Uber down I would skip Stone and go to the Vista area, North County's brew hub. Stone is now a tourist destination that's packed all time. The tasting area is just a crowded bar in the restaurant.