taxidermy help please!

Mcallian

Hey there, I'm really new to the site and even newer to taxidermy but I'd really like to try it. I bought one of those Van Dykes taxidermy kits at cabelas and am hoping to get a feel for bird taxidermy. Anyway I have skinned a drake wigeon I shot this year to the point of cutting off the legs, wings and neck. But in doing so I made a pretty big hole where the tail meets the back (probally about 2" by 2") :smiley-birthday: . Is there anyway of fixing this or am I, for lack of better word, screwed?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Welcome to the site MallardMilitia!

I moved this to the Taxidermy forum because, well its about all things taxidermy!

Darius is the Master and has rescued many messed up carcasses. I'm sure he could give you some excellent advice.

Mcallian

Thanks DKS! hah, I shoulda taken the time and looked for the taxidermy forum... :smiley-birthday:

ESSposse

Marsh Ninja.... Deal with it.
If anyone can help you out with it.......... Daruis can.

If not.................. we can move this to the recipe forum............. :20:

Just kidding MM..... welcome to TOF :smiley-birthday: :20:

Mcallian

If anyone can help you out with it.......... Daruis can.

If not.................. we can move this to the recipe forum............. :smiley-birthday:

I can tell I'm get along here just fine :20:

pitdog

Old and grumpy
Welcome to TOF!

Im not a taxidermist but Ive skinned many birds that I use for tying flies. You should be able to sew the skin up if youre good with a needle. Im sure Darius will have a better answer but thats what I would do.

Mcallian

Thanks d trees! So I think I'm gonna keep on tryin with the wigeon skin, but would is it recomended that I sew the hole up before i go on with anything else, or should I sew it after cleaning the fat, washing etc. ?

ESSposse

Marsh Ninja.... Deal with it.
I'd use a lil' Extra Virgin Olive Oil........ marinate in the teriyaki sauce........ liberally add a basting to it whilst BBQ'in....... MEDIUM RARE of course......

A lil' wild rice...... a Chardeux (1981 or better)

Slice AGAINST the grain before serving!!!

Fill the hole with said rice and enjoy!!!!!

Finish with a Fudgesicle and VOILA'!!!!!!!!

Thank me later........ Tip your veal and try the waitres........

FredtheGad

Fredthegad
MM, Darius kinda comes and go's here so just keep checking yer post I'm sure when he stops in he'll see it and offer up some help.

And That ESS guy, well we normally keep him in the closet. But with it being in between hunting season's we let him out to entertain the natives :hot_red_yellow_med_ani: And a fine job he does at that :new_blkyel_medjagged_ani:

Mcallian

No prob, I'm learning that taxidermy is a SLOW process, so i'm in no real rush. As for ESS...I'm deeply offended by his insensitive comments :smiley-cool-shades-down:

Thanks d trees! So I think I'm gonna keep on tryin with the wigeon skin, but would is it recomended that I sew the hole up before i go on with anything else, or should I sew it after cleaning the fat, washing etc. ?

Go ahead and finish with the cleaning, degreasing, etc... before sewing up the hole -- you'll probably make more of them in the process, so you might as well wait to thread the needle!

I mounted quite a few birds back in my youth. You'll be amazed on how much you can really hide with feathers. Sew all holes from the inside. After sewing, make sure you pick the feathers out of the stitches from the outside of the bird.

Good luck!