Tanner Banks wide open

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
Holy crap massive YT at the banks. I talked to the night driver on the way out and he told me were going to the banks on an exploratory trip and if that didn't look good fairly early we would go to Cortez banks or San Clemente for cow BFT, well it worked out great. All the YT we got were between 25 and 40 lbs. The BFT were smaller grade. I got two 25 lbs. BFT and two YT both over 30 lbs, biggest came in at 35. My Granddaughter got two YT, one just over 36 and the other 30lbs. She also got one football BFT. About 2PM we drove back to San Clemente looking for cow tuna. The boat only got one over the rail. He came in at 200 lbs. Another guy got spooled, he was standing next to me and line was burning off his spool, I asked him what pound test line he had on, he said 40 lb. test, I said WTF were you thinking. Sad thing is his other set up was just what he should have been using, 100 lb. braid with 135 lb. leader.

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
Wow! Great trip! How old is your granddaughter? Great memories there.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
the F John where was the heads up you where going

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
where the 411????

sounded like a fun trip wish I was not so buzzy, I need to get my tuna on

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
Rory is 14. This was her second trip with Papa. She loves the entire experience. Both trips she's been on have been fantastic. I have taken her brother Carter two times and except for rock fish we haven't done very good. I'll see if I can once again figure out how to post photos. First thing we heard at the dock was we were going to San clemente, but they opted for Tanner after we left dock. There were three boats from San Diego on the bank near us. All did real good.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
I just looked at 976 tuna and Ray posted one picture of Rory me, in blue shirt. Also 200 lb. BFT.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
When Ray took these photos he said hold it out which I did, then I said, HURRY UP RAY, heavy.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
Hey sorry but we decided to go at 4:00 Monday afternoon. I'll certainly advise on all future trips. Only ones I got to join me in the past on open party boats were Pops and band collector. I'm going to see about setting up a charter for BFT in Oct. or Nov.

garlicsalt

Reaction score
As you know us fishermen are very superstitious, i would never leave the dock without Rory.

Good on you two.