Stuck Bolt

tmoniz

A spent shell should chamber.
Put up some pics of your fired brass so we can take a better look at it.

Tmon

I've been shooting 7 Rem Mag for many many years.
Curious to see what's going on with yours.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Will do sir, i dropped a spent shell in the chamber, tipped the gun upside down and the shell ain't coming out....interesting. I'll get some close up pics posted later tonight.

After cleaning it, visually inspect the chamber. Is there any evidence of roughness or damage? If you can get your little finger in there, does it feel smooth? Alternatively, stick something relatively soft like a piece of plastic as a probe and see if it transmits any indication of roughness. Also inspect the extractor for any signs of unusual wear or damage.

JDC

Itchin to pull the trigger
Would a spent shell fit easily into the chamber?

No.

Like trying to put a spent shotgun shell back in your scatter gun.... It doesn't fit too well. That's why when you reload any shell it has to go through the resizing die.

Huntducks

Sounds like the head spacing which could be caused by several things 1. is a dirty chamber & throat shell is not seating aginst bolt face.

If they where reloads I would say the shoulder got bumped to far back.

First off try some other ammo if that does not work clean the chamber lans throat a feed ramp if that don't do it take to gunsmith and have him check the head space.

You can usully clean the chamber with a shotgun copper bore brush.

tmoniz

I just took a once fired 7 mag case not resized and dropped into the chamber.
Chambered and extracted perfectly.

T

Maverick

I just took a once fired 7 mag case not resized and dropped into the chamber.
Chambered and extracted perfectly.

T
If it its is the same rifle is should. Its called fire forming.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
I just pulled off the stock so i could get a better look in the chamber...no burs, looks good, just a hair dirty. Put a live round in, came out fine, put a spent shell in, stuck like chuck. Had to use a cleaning rod to remove it.

Pics of the spent shells comin' later.

DeltaDan

"So this dyslexic alcoholic walked into a bra.....
You are headspacing it most likely sounds like.

If you have a mic -- Mic your spent casing to an unfired shell.

How many rounds do you have through your rifle ?? You can always take it to a gunsmith and he should have a throat scope to take a look inside for cracks, pitting and wear. Sounds like the gasses are even blowing backwards into the breach past your shell case -- and not getting the most out of your bullets peformance at the same time.

Prolly your easiest route in fixing it would be to rebarrel it -- or sell it to LD.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
I've had the gun since '97 and if it's seen 2-300 rounds i'd be suprised. So i just took a spent shell, put it in the chamber and closed the bolt...the handle lifts, but is a bitch to pull back. I did this a few times and you can really see just above the belt on the shell where the tight fit is.

You guys starting to see why i bow hunt, i know zero about this crap.

uploading pics now.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Are you using the right cartridge

Bring that DeWalt over, we'll get this gun fixed.........turn it into a garden sprinkler.

tmoniz

Based on those pics I'm not seeing anything uncommon to belted magnums.
Are the primers flattened?

Tmon

tmoniz

If the cases are blackened then you have one more sign of two things. A hot round and quite possibly a headspace issue.
The headspace issue I have trouble with especially when dealing with a rifle that has seen very few rounds through it.
So I would find different ammo, say something generic from Remington.
(Heck a magnum can kill anything with any bullet)
And then see how it behaves.
Clean the bolt body up real good as well.

All indicators lead (as far as me) to a pretty hot round.

Tmon