Stuck Bolt

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Need some help guys; Recenly on my Browning ABolt, the bolt is getting stuck after i shoot. I cleaned the barrel like a champ and removed the copper fouling (for accuracy), but the damn bolt is getting stuck and damn near impossible to open after firing. Any ideas what would cause this? I'm assuming its debris/dirt/residue somewhere in there, but not sure as it's tough to get in there to see and clean.

whatchathink guys?

Does the bolt operate correctly on unfired rounds? Do they eject easily? Are you using factory loads? Do the cases show any signs of over pressure? You could try cleaning the chamber, but sounds like maybe the load is too hot?

NikolaKangrga

It sounds like your casings are expanding and getting stuck.....???? I agree with DKScott, take a look at your casings. Try shooting different ammo too. Go pick up a box at walmart or something.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Yes, the bolt works properly on unfired rounds. I'm shooting factory federal and always have with this gun.
Once i do get the bolt open, it ejects properly. Cleaning the chamber? How would i go about that?

Are you just having a problem lifting the bolt lever? Once the bolt is up, do you have to pull back more than usual to drag the round out or does it fly right out?

To clean a chamber, just scrub with a bronze brush and some cleaning fluid and then some patches till clean, then a light oiled patch.

I would take a close look at those cases and maybe call Federal with the lot number just to be sure. You can't assume that all lots or even all rounds within a lot are the same. Here is a pic showing some signs of over pressure:

View attachment 24164

Attachments

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Yes, just lifting the bolt lever is the issue, then it goes back easily. I saved the spent shells and will check'em out this afternoon...thanks for the tips/info.

Stay tuned, i'm bear hunting in 4 weeks and need to get this squared away ASAP.

thanks guys.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Forgot to add...i spent 2 hours cleaning the copper fouling out of the barell a few weeks ago, but the stuck shell issue was happening before that. I was hoping, a good cleaning of the barrel would resolve the issue.

NikolaKangrga

arrowslinger,
I am leaning towards you got a bad box of rounds from federal that are a "little" too hot. Shoot a couple of those ballistic tips. If that takes care of your problem, then I would contact federal and I am sure they will make it right with you.

tmoniz

I have to go with everyone else. Sounds like a classic case of loads being too hot.
I've had the exact thing happen to me.

Tmoniz

DEERSLAM

Too much pressure. The factory Federal ammo may be too hot. They may be the same loads that you have shot in the past but a different lot can and will make a difference. Do you have any of the old Federals?
It is very rare for factory loads to have pressure problems in todays rifles so I'm also thinking you need to clean the chamber out really well like DKScott mentioned.
Oh and I wouldn't shoot anymore of those specific shells.

sidepass

I have to go with everyone else. Sounds like a classic case of loads being too hot.
I've had the exact thing happen to me.

Tmoniz

Had the same problem with gifted handloads. One day i'll pull the bullets, dump the powder and start over.

sidepass

JDC

Itchin to pull the trigger
I disagree. If he can slide the bolt backwards I do not believe it's an over pressured round. When I hopped up my 6mm rounds too far I could lift the bolt handle, but not slide the bolt back. I had to use a steel rod and a hammer to knock the round out.

Bent clawfoot on an extractor?

Can the bolt be disassembled? Is it dry?

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Just checked out the empties that i shot last weekend. The primers look fine and i can't see any signs of over pressure....the only thing i see thats consistant on each cartridge, and i'm not sure if this is normal or not, is near the belt, there's heavy abrasion around the entire cartridge. Seems to be a very small 'lip'. Normal?