Sooo......Where's the Midwest forum?

karstic

Reaction score
So it's been awhile since I've been active, just thought I'd pop in and say Hi.

I've left California and relocated to Wisconsin. We'll see how the hunting and fishing is

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Good for you!

I have family out of Wasau. They are deer hunters. Mostly on their family farm.

7DUX

Reaction score
I lived there in my youth on and off. Parents and a lot of family live around Eau Claire. I've spent a lot of time in that part of the state and done some muskie trips in the NE corner also. Unlimited opportunity in the outdoors but you'll need to take up ice fishing for it to be year round. Should be plenty of honkers near you this fall, also grouse, pheasant and woodcock if you're in to upland. Divers, mallards and wood ducks if you learn the area and a great duck hunting opportunity on Lake Michigan if you stay and get some specialized gear. Trout streams, rivers that you can wet wade this time of year full of smallmouths. Walleye everywhere and a great fall trophy brown trout fishery on Lake MI that doesn't require a boat. Whitetails are thick of course with unlimited doe tags in some areas. You won't be bored from May through November. A Badger football game should be a must this year if you like the sport.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
This will be the first year in a very long time I am not going back to Wi. for our annual hunt which we always set up for late Oct. Lots going on this year so I informed the gang I'm taking a pass this year. My nephew lives just south of Milwaukee in a small area called Franksville. He has always been the one who sets the hunts up and I wanted to let him know well in advance so he can rent the cabins according to number of hunters in the group. Like every place else, the areas to hunt in Wi. are not as wide open as they were in years past but, with a little scouting you won't have any trouble finding good, deer and grouse hunting. central Wi. generally has healthy deer population and there are plenty of areas you can still hunt. Land owners back there are more open to letting you hunt their property than here in Ca. or any other place I have hunted. Northern Wi. also has a good deer population and very good Grouse hunting. There are lots of lakes with a wide variety of fresh water fish and Lake MI. has good salmon fishing along with other species of fish. If you are into it, there is a hunting club in Warren Wi. called Woods an Meadows. They hunt released pheasant and Chukar and it is as close to hunting wild birds( pheasants) as one can get. They also offer deer hunt but, I have never hunted deer on their property. My nephew has taken several very nice bucks there. He is a member and he hunts there a lot. They also have trap and sporting clay shoots, some just for fun and others for competition. Might be something to look into. It's a good way to get to know other hunters.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
I like whitetail...not much of a stand guy..but I like whitetail..finish.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Cool.
Guy that I have my ranch life estate with is in WI. Loves to hunt & fish ,when he isn't farming his 3k ac.
Hager City area....where ever that is.

madhunter

Reaction score
We took the kids to Milwaukee a couple months ago and booked a guide to go fishing on Lake Michigan. The trip got cancelled due to wind which sucked. There is supposed to be a pretty good King, Silver and Brown fishery. I would be interested in how good the fishing actually is.

I drank a lot of beer and ate a lot of cheese!

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
Stay away from Madison, those folks are idiots!

I've got a co-worker in Waukesha. I've made the drive from Chicago to Milwaukee to Madison to Eau Claire to Minneapolis. Mostly good minus Madison. Flew in and out of Appleton too, new kind of cold there.

Did you visit The Brat Stop yet?

Congrats on the escape.

GUNDOGLOVER

Reaction score
As for the fishing on lake Mi. I have been on charters three times and really did well every time. I am from a town 35 So. of Madison ( Janesville, home of speaker Ryan)) and from 35 miles away you can see the liberal haze that hangs over the city. By the way if you want to go after Ruffed Grouse, look into Philips or Winter Wi.