so i have a bit of a CA dilemma...

bmax

Reaction score
so i'm sitting on 11 points for all species in CA and i'm no longer a resident. the only reason i'd consider staying in the game would be for tule elk, but the chance of getting drawn this century looks dismal. at the current cost for license and application fee and considering point creep or "random only" tags in the OV, what would you do?

7DUX

Reaction score
I'd use the deer points for A27 if that interests you or use them on a party application with your dad, a good friend etc for a decent X zone hunt and be done.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
Bryan,

I threw everything out the door when I left and didn't keep applying. I wish I did.

CA has some decent hunting in the x zones that I wouldn't mind doing every 4 to 5 years with family or friends.

bmax

Reaction score
yeah mudpidgeon... looking at options to cash in. blacktail are on my hit-list and we don't have them here!

nick, most of the OTC units here boast better success than a majority of the better X zones there. not to mention i'd be waiting 5 years and dropping over $1000 to draw (X9A?). i'm playing the point game in 4 other western states that charge less and offer much better opportunity for deer also. CA deer is a hard sell to me.

CA is the ONLY state you can shoot a tule elk and i've wanted to shoot one for a long time with my bow. that said... with point creep and limited number of tags, what would the probability of ever pulling a tag? as june 2nd is rapidly approaching this is what has been bugging me. scott (spooneyslayer) said it best in a conversation we had the other day, "first world problems are not bad ones to have".

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I bought a lifetime license before I left... kept all my points. It cost me $33 to apply for everything. If I hadn't done that I'd kiss everything good by. I don't think it's worth the cost of the non resident license to apply. Ed F

bmax

Reaction score
BOWUNTR said:
I bought a lifetime license before I left... kept all my points. It cost me $33 to apply for everything. If I hadn't done that I'd kiss everything good by. I don't think it's worth the cost of the non resident license to apply. Ed F
that's genius! i wish i had thought of that at the time. i had a lot on my plate moving and it didn't even cross my mind. oh, well... it is what it is.

Fowl Play

Reaction score
BOWUNTR said:
With a lifetime license, but living in another state, do you pay resident or non-resident prices when you draw a tag? With Florida, I only purchased a lifetime hunting license, but for some reason the system treats me as a resident forever more. Allowing me to purchase yearly fishing licenses as a resident as well (saves me a boatload of cash). Not sure if that's how it works here as well.

nicapopolis

Reaction score
bmax said:
that's genius! i wish i had thought of that at the time. i had a lot on my plate moving and it didn't even cross my mind. oh, well... it is what it is.
Sorry Bryan. I assumed that is what you did. With that said, yeah I wouldn't be paying to hunt CA deer either.

Maybe some day I will be rich and pay for the Tule through an outfitter.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I get a deer tag and five pig tags every year for free. If I draw anything else I pay non resident fees for the tag... which I will gladly pay. Ed F

paulc

Reaction score
I had max points on everything when I left CA. The first year I applied as a NR they lost my application/check and did not find it till 2 weeks after application period ended.
That was a sign to stay out of KA. Nothing there worth the drive.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Yuck, I'd would have been...uh...disappointed and ready to choke someone.

American outlaw

Reaction score
I may have the same dilemma,iam sitting on max points for elk antelope and sheep.this will be my last chance in Cali, as iam moving the end of the year.Still debating on the lifetime licence.

BOHNTR

Reaction score
I have max points for sheep and elk..........if I don't draw elk this year, I'll have to buy a damn lifetime license so I can stay in the hunt for Tule Elk since I'll be retiring to AZ.