Snake break/avoidance

TonyS

Reaction score
Web has an understanding of how your dog thinks and reacts. He has an encyclopedia of knowledge that isn't seen in others. He is worth the drive.

Hunt'EmUp

Reaction score
My experience with Andy,
Snakes are in wire cages, and placed with in hunting terrain, you and your dog walk through Off-lead as you would hunting. Basically the dog is quartering. The snakes are in a cage they are neither de-fanged nor wrapped. I know I asked, Andy stated that de-fanging-wrapping changes the scent. He's the insane snakes guy who hunts them and knows every species even where they come from by color patterns, so I believe him ;). Basically he dog learns to avoid them, they get nicked for any curiosity or engagement. The human plays the idiot and walk into snakes, the dog is trained to go well around, even if human is a moron. We trained ~ 4 dogs; each took to the training differently, some were mildly curious (they got corrected which was enough), some attacked the cage, they got big time corrected. 1 dog was muscle bound idiots who he told us to come back with. 2nd session he finally figured it out, but we did a 3rd just to be sure ;). He also does something with a scented stick, if they engage-do not avoid the stick they get corrected. My old dog will actually block me from approaching the cage, sort've herds me away; she gets really unhappy when I walk up to them. My young girl barks at me, throws a general fit if I get close to the snakes. My Male is indifferent to me approaching them, but he most decidedly will not go near them. Guess the girls love me more, dang indifferent boys ;). The final exam Andy takes a big slow snake out draws a line in the sand (where they can't get you "theoretically") and you walk your dog by them on lead of course at this point the dog is not going near them, but you get to (gulp).

It works really well, and a good part is you get to learn you dogs approach to snakes, if you can read that it will save you from stepping on them, and doing stupid things like making a dog go in high cover when they say NO. It's saved me a few times. Dec. 28th we were bush busting Quail on the Crit, my 2 went strange-I didn't recognize it until I heard the rattle, they just appeared by my side blocking me about the time my friends dog got bit. His vet bills were $1800, $65-$75 is well worth it.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Its funny how dogs react so differently. Sometimes my Carson will just cruise on by, but if the snake is in my path he backs off about 20' and keeps looking back and forth between me and the snake, wagging his tail anxiously. If the snakes around a bend, he runs back to me first. My Apolo would not even acknowledge the snake. He would just veer slightly wide without breaking his stride. A friends very sweet female DK would swing very wide, looking at the snake or bush it was in snarling and growling all the way. I just hook my dogs up and walk around. I never acknowledge, harass or otherwise interact with the snake. Doggy see Doggy do ...

Once they learn, they don't forget. I remember Andy was doing a clinic at Prado and had about a half dozen snakes in the field. Apolo was about 11 years old and it had been 8 or 9 years since his training (2x a year apart). I asked Andy if I could send Apolo in just to see how he would react. I pointed him in the general direction and commanded "search". Apolo goes barreling into the field expecting to find something dead to retrieve. About 20-30 feet into the area where the snakes were he slams on the brakes and you could see him mark where each snake was (Andy pointed that out). He then literally slowly backed out of there, not turning his back until he was well away.