Wondering of the FAST method comes out as well

I like this SmokinView attachment 57880 Joe Jones sauce

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 0

ppine

Reaction score
If you visit Seattle sometime, go to a good grocery store and check out the smoked fish. Cold smoked is always the best out of the many different types. A Little chief smoker never goes over about 100 degrees. If you smoke at 125 degrees you get a different result. If you finish in the oven you will probably be cooking it rather than smoking it. There are lots of faster ways to cook fish, but no better way to preserve than cold smoking.

bpnclark

Reaction score
I've done it when I couldnt get the meat to cook in time. Not bad but low-n-slow is still best. :beer-toast:

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
bpnclark said:
I've done it when I couldnt get the meat to cook in time. Not bad but low-n-slow is still best. :beer-toast:
I agree .... Couple time I had to crank up the temp and toss them in the oven.... Came out about the same.

bpnclark

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]The kids don’t like a lot of smoke taste in chicken, so if I’m doing whole chickens I’ll smoke one for less than an hour and throw it in a 375-400 degree oven to finish it off. Skin comes out super crispy and the meat juicy. [/SIZE]

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
I consider myself a self-proclaimed meat smoking aficionado. That said, it depends on what you are smoking and the type of smoker you use and I do not use anything but charcoal. A Kamado smokes much different than a traditional round Brinkmann.

For fish, the Brinkmann works well because it keeps the fish moist with the water pan. I ALWAYS USE ALDER ON FISH! Nothing compares to Alder for fish and chicken. I usually start a couple handfuls of charcoal and place a chunk of Alder on top. Everything I smoke starts out cold and gets an occasional a squirt with a water spray-bottle during the smoking process. It will produce smoke for over 2 hours at around 175 - 200*, after which I'll either add more charcoal (no additional wood) or I'll put them in the oven at around 200* until it starts to firm up. There's about a 5 minute window to catch it with the right firmness.

The Kamado takes very little charcoal and very little wood. There is NOTHING worse than over smoked meat and this beast is easy to over smoke with. Especially when people use a Kamado with Hickory or Mesquite :smiley-throwup-on-smiley: Two woods I never use. You really need to know what you're doing with this beast. I put a handful of charcoal with a small chunk of wood on. Then when the wood runs out, I put another handful of charcoal w/out the wood and slow cook it for the duration. I once cooked a brisket for 12 hours and only used a couple small chunks of apple. It came out perfect.

Keeping it moist is the key to good smoked meat, but as everyone knows, the brine is everything. Brine it wrong and you might as well feed it to the dogs.

All this talk about smoking makes me want to go catch some big Ol' carp. :smiley-wnk-yellow:

EDIT: I forgot the OP question; I never rush anything. Even if I put it in the oven after a couple hours of smoke, it stays low and slow. The babyback ribs I did last weekend had 2 hours of apple smoke at 200* and then I put them in a covered baking dish in the oven for a few hours @ 225*, then I uncovered them, slapped some sauce on most of them and cooked them @ 375 for the last 1/2 hour. Pure goodness.

And lastly, smoked fish is smoked, not cooked. Anything over 200* and it doesn't smoke well.

bpnclark

Reaction score
pitdog said:
There is NOTHING worse than over smoked meat and this beast is easy to over smoke with. Especially when people use a Kamado with Hickory or Mesquite :smiley-throwup-on-smiley:
I thought I was the only one! Hickory, Mesquite and even Oak all taste like a campfire. The only ones I use are Cherry, Maple and Apple. :beer-toast:

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!lIFCez3m7muBQu-Lm(e-g~~_32-300x300-0-0.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!lIFCez3m7muBQu-Lm(e-g~~_32-300x300-0-0.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0

hank4elk

Reaction score
Alder for fish, Apple,pear or most any stone fruit(peach,necterine,etc.),and Mtn Mohagany is what I use. I have a seperate wood pile for this.
Red Oak for BBQ only,but now I have none in NM. So I go with Pinion.

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
If you have a lot of white smoke coming out your smoker ......... That's a sign of bad smoke.

You want "thin blue smoke"

Google

"Thin blue smoke" and you will get a ton of info! I've used all those heavy smoke tasting woods... And if you do it right they can be very good.

I use a blend of pellets called "pittmasters choice" and they are pretty much perfect for everything.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
I get my wood at "The Woodshed Firewood" in Orange. They will mail your order if Orange is too far. Patty is awesome! http://www.citysearch.com/profile/674033/orange_ca/woodshed_firewood_co.html

I'll try to upload the wood type and food pairing chart. It's amazing all the different wood types. Last time I was there Patty gave me a small bag of peach. She says it's awesome on poultry and game birds, but I have yet to try it... Might have to do some chicken this weekend.

View attachment 57911

Oh yeah, on Saturdays they smoke meat for whoever shows up. Call in advance as sometimes they don't.

Attachments

• The Woodshed.pdf
    662.5 KB · Views: 5

ppine

Reaction score
I agree with pitdog. Red alder is the stuff for fish. My family is from Washington State. I have fond memories of catching salmon and taking the tender ashore to cook it with alder lying around on the beach. I really like planked salmon over a fire. I use western red cedar fencing boards and nail the fish on and lean it against another one over a low fire. It was good enough for Lewis and Clark.

I like to smoke trout, especially lake trout and larger Lahontan cutthroats. Very dark meat. Kokanee salmon are also great. I can't imagine eating carp. What is it like?

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
LOW AND SLOW...AND KEEP THE WATER PAN FULL..I USE PECAN ON JUST ABOUT ANYTHING..

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
I can't imagine eating carp. What is it like?
It looks and tastes like humpback (pink) salmon when smoked. I brine it with brown sugar, soy sauce, red & black pepper, garlic, non-iodized salt or sea salt (important not to use iodized salt) and wine for 12 hours (it depends on the cuts, I use large filet slabs or 1 1/2 inch horseshoe cuts from a 10lb + carp. No kidding, it's fantastic!

Take 1 box of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of non-iodized salt and mix well. add a cup of wine, mix and add 3 tablespoons of red cayenne pepper, 1/2 cup of black pepper and mix well. Add soy sauce until the salt taste and sugar tastes are equal. Put the fish into a large zip-lock bag and add the fish to the bag - zip with no air in the bag.
Brine in the fridge over night, get the smoker ready in the morning, rinse the fish lightly and smoke it.

You'll thank me later. :smiley-yellow:

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
I just rubbed a pork shoulder and brined a couple chicken breasts for the smoker tomorrow. I'll smoke them with a large apple chunk and some soaked peach.

The meat will get 2 hours of constant, but not thick smoke... Then the shoulder will get sealed in a cooking pan and go in the oven @ 225 for several hours and I'll keep the chicken breasts on the smoker @ around 225 for a few hours.

Pulled pork sandwiches for the next 2 weeks and some great chicken. :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua: