Skull cleaning & the eventual cost

DariusTaxidermy

Pro Taxidermist
Reaction score
:huh: Thought I would share a perspective I have experienced with clients calling regarding skull cleaning & European style skull mounts. What I don't get ................. hunters will spend $$$$ to go & hunt & get a trophy, but then try to do the skull cleaning the cheapest way possible. Usual skull cleaning by a Taxidermist would only cost $100 - $200.

The important note here is............ if there is any flesh tissue remaining on the skull........... bugs at home will find it & you will start your own bug colony right there in your Trophy Room. So the hunter saves $100 - $200 on skull cleaning, but then a year or two later there will be bugs in his Elk & Deer heads, Duck mounts & so on................. & will ultimately lose his $$$$$$ collection. :apeani:

There is basically 3 ways to clean a skull for presentation purpose in your Trophy room.

#1 - Boiling - :huh: do it yourself cleaning, in which you remove off as much of the muscle & tissue as you can, boil the skull & then pick away at it to finish cleaning. After cleaned to individual satisfaction (how much time you really want to invest) Bleach & Peroxide.

#1 - negative.............. if you boil it too much the skull & bone will break down, soften & or detoriate, plus never really can get all the hidden & hard to get to flesh out .
#1 - positive................ cheap & do it yourself

#2 - Rotting - :huh: do it yourself cleaning, in which you remove off as much of the muscle & tissue as you can, then place in a bucket of standing water & let it rot away for months. After tissue rotten away, remove wash away & pick away to individual satisfaction, Bleach & Peroxide.

#2 - negative............. never really can get all & every little piece of tissue removed, plus family will probably kick you out of the house long before all tissue will rot off.
#2 - positive.............. skull will not soften or break apart as in boiling, cheap & do it yourself

#3 - Bugs - The absolute best way to clean, professional Taxidermist will remove off as much flesh & tissue as possible, then place in a pit of flesh eating bugs to eat at every possible piece of flesh. They will go into every tight spot to get to something to eat & will not damage skull in any way. Bleach & Peroxide.

#3 - negative.............. cost's money & has to be accomplished by a professional Taxidermist or skull cleaning service.
#3 - positive............... will not have any piece of flesh left on it, skull & bone will not be compromised.

TESCH

Reaction score
Would you happen to know what taxidermist in San Diego does the flesh eating bug skull cleaning?

DariusTaxidermy

Pro Taxidermist
Reaction score
Try Lyons Ohaver 619-697-3217in San Diego, they might do bug cleaning.
If not, let me know, I have some other contacts you can call.

breacher

Reaction score
There is a guy on SCH that offers a cleaning service using dermestid beetles. Pretty reasonable fees. There is also a flier with his contact info at the Bown N Arrow shop in Lakeside. If you need more info, let me know and I get if for you.

quackquackboom!!

Reaction score
Darius whats the status on my Blue goose??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
Reaction score
WHAT..NO RETURN PHONE CALL?? DAMN...

**sounds like another frustrated paying customer darius...jus sayin...**

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Darius whats the status on my Blue goose??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You might wanna try calling him rather then post in a 7 year old post......just saying.

I don't think he is on the forum much.