Shooting east of San Diego

beretta619

Reaction score
Anyone know a decent spot to throw a few clays east of San Diego? The lady just got a new shotgun and we're looking to go out tomorrow morning. I don't feel like going to a crowded business and I would like to avoid driving all the way out to the valley. I'd like to keep it on this side of the mountains... if you want to message me, do so. It would be just th le two of us, trash would be picked up, etc. thank you.

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
There's a range in Alpine. Never been there, but my cousin shoots there every week.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Remember, target shooting is not permitted within the Cleveland Nat'l Forest. BLM in SD County has these restrictions:

San Diego County: shooting is restricted in any developed recreational area; within 150 yards of any occupied residence or associated outbuildings; within 500 yards of any properly signed, established stock watering hole or place. (see SD County Code of Regulatory Ordinances, Title 3, Division 3, Chapter 1 for additional details)
BLM temporary and permanent closure orders prohibit target shooting in the following areas:
  • McCain Valley lands north of Boulevard, covering the large recreational area
  • Table Mountain lands north of Old 80, east of Jacumba, covering old shooting sites
  • Airport Mesa lands south of Old 80, east of Jacumba, covering the old shooting area
  • Otay Mountain lands within 300 feet of the Otay Mountain Truck Trail & structures
Clay targets (and all fragmenting targets including bottles) are frowned on because of the debris left behind. Even biodegradable targets, which I rarely see, take years and years to break down. My understanding is that you can be cited for littering for any debris left behind. I can't imagine being able to collect every clay fragment after a decent shooting session. It will be spread all over the area. We've all seen these areas. It is blight and it does not reflect well on shooters.

My advice is to go to a public range or designated shooting area.

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
We just did a fun 3-d archery shoot st lemon grove rod and gun club. Looked like a pretty good place?

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
Project 2000 still around?