SD/Mission Bay Fly Fishing Pointers

Maunsell

Reaction score
Hey TOF,

Got the pops coming into town over the weekend from WA. Growing up there all we did was fly fish, but since moving to SD I lost my way and now use a bait caster. While he is down here I'd like to get out on one of the bays for some bass/corvina/bone/anything fishing. Just pulling on something... Here is where I need help: I am looking for some general location recommendations and techniques for fly fishing for this time of year that would facilitate a fun day of bay fishing. Anything we can employ to target some fish on the fly would be helpful. All I could tell him would be let it sink and a slow strip in.

He plans to fly down his 6 weight rod and I told him to bring any kind of streamer that looks like a small grunion, 'dine, or shrimp.

He may or may not fly down the small pontoon, and I have a couple of kayaks we can use, so we aren't shorebound. We may opt to just fish from shore though depending on timing.

Thanks for the help in making this a successful visit.

popx5

Reaction score
I would think you could hit the surf with a sand crab pattern and slay the perch..maybe even a bean or two.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Fish a 250 gr sink shooting head on a 6. No crabs right now so fish something else. Spawner perch starting to show in surf. I caught a big one a couple days ago on a Qs beach bug. Go see the guys at SoCal Flyfishing in Liberty Station and they will dial you in. I like Mission Beach/Bay area as I can hit the surf and then walk over and hit the bay in the same outing. There are some places where you can do that on the Silver Strand too. If fishing the bay on foot, I like an intermediate line that doesn't sink too fast. I like a medium tide so I can reach the eel grass beds, but still with enough water to fish over the top of em. Spotties in the bay will hit damn near anything, but when in doubt, fish a yellow Clouser. Good, cheap fun.

nickyfins

Reaction score
There is all kinds of fishing. Surf fishing can be really preductive all year long in San Diego you just have to find the right parts for that week. The new shop in town really has a tone of good options and the young kid who works there is really helpful. Give them a buzz

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
spotted bay bass

Attachments

• .baybassSpottiereel.jpg
    .baybassSpottiereel.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0