Sardinian Hare

TonyS

The last time I was out at the 'put and take' place I had a young jack pop up that I rolled. I took him home and vacuum sealed him for later. Watched the AZ video as to how to efficiently clean it. Recommend. No guts method.

Anyway, yesterday I cooked it up using this recipe. Cooked it until the meat fell off the bone.

Absolutely delicious. I'm going to go pop more of those. Drink a strong red like Chianti with it and you won't believe what you are eating.

Here is a link to the recipe: http://honest-food.net/2010/02/11/hare-stew-hard-times/

TonyS

Steve,

You don't get the flavor. It's like anything new you try for the first time. "Put that where?" But once you did you weren't going back.

Hey tony, as you know you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. you can try to tell folks how good jack is till your blue in the face. but they will not get it. maybe it is due to the bot fly larvae that some jacks have or perhaps it's the red meat IDK. but they can check any old wild game cook book and read what the people from yesteryear thought of jack rabbit especially young jack. the only ducks that come anywhere close to a young jack would would be a mallard or woody the rest don't even come close.

But we need to remember food and the taste of it is all relative to each individual.

Just more jacks for you and I.

And i will gladly keep picking up those sand dabs folks keep leaving on the deck, cus we all know those don't have any meat and taste like crap.... JUST SAYING!

ilovesprig

Boys, I've ate plenty of jack in my life, especially as a kid (raised in a family, you shoot it, you eat it). Grandpa would use it in sauce with polenta. Recall it being a bit stringy, but good......Just prefer white meat of c-tails..... :smiley-wnk-yellow:

DirtyDave

TonyS said:
The last time I was out at the 'put and take' place I had a young jack pop up that I rolled. I took him home and vacuum sealed him for later. Watched the AZ video as to how to efficiently clean it. Recommend. No guts method.

Anyway, yesterday I cooked it up using this recipe. Cooked it until the meat fell off the bone.

Absolutely delicious. I'm going to go pop more of those. Drink a strong red like Chianti with it and you won't believe what you are eating.

Here is a link to the recipe: http://honest-food.net/2010/02/11/hare-stew-hard-times/
I've used that exact recipe with both jacks and cotton tails. It's great either way. I usually pour it over a bowl of saffron rice

sloth1833

I might have to give it a shot now. I use the HAGC recipe for Goose sausage (hunters sausage) and it is mighty tasety. I figure jac the rabbit can't be that bad.

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!
I,ll pass on the giant rats...but like Steve, I too have consumed copious amounts of Jack in my time here on earth...just the jack with the #7 in front of it..read a story on another site about a guy eating coyotes..dude wasn't even Hmong I don't think... Extreme eating...wow.

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
I have made this as well, and it is awesome! I thought i posted the story but I guess not.

QALHNTR

I've used a bunch of Hank's recipes over the years and my (hates gamey taste) wife enjoyed this without any smart ass comments.