San Jacinto-12/28

jsegoria

Reaction score
We hunted San Jacinto today on a very low draw. It was primarily pass shooting on Teal which I really suck at. I killed two that decoyed and the rest were pass shots. My brother and our buddy shot very well. We were one short of triple limits. They really did not want to decoy for us. We tried everything. Mostly Teal with a Wigeon and some Spoonies mixed in. Not bad for a non-windy and clear weather type of day. Someone actually shot 15 minutes before shoot time and the sky busting was out of control. The birds were very skittish if any rounds went off within ear shot. Tom, we should be back in a week or two on another draw.

Night all. I am beat.

John

weekender21

Reaction score
We heard that early shot, more like 7 minutes early on my watch. Either way it surprised me when more guns followed a few seconds later. The morning was SLOW for us but we killed them between 11 and 12:30, mostly spoonies with a few teal, pintail, and one canvas back.

jsegoria

Reaction score
QUOTE (weekender21 @ Dec 29 2011, 08:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356359
We heard that early shot, more like 7 minutes early on my watch. Either way it surprised me when more guns followed a few seconds later. The morning was SLOW for us but we killed them between 11 and 12:30, mostly spoonies with a few teal, pintail, and one canvas back.

Great job on the Canvas Back. That is one tough brid to get down here. Did the birds decoy in for you guys or was it pass shooting as well?

John

fish dog

Reaction score
QUOTE (John Segoria @ Dec 28 2011, 08:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356293
Someone actually shot 15 minutes before shoot time and the sky busting was out of control.

I had it at 8 minutes early (but I forgot the cell and my watch is analog so it could have been 7 - I usually use the cell for start time).

It just amazes me how selfish some are. They are so desperate to kill a duck that they are willing to screw up what can be the best opportunity of the day for their fellow hunters by shooting early. If everyone would just cooperate the refuge average take would probably go up by a bird per person over what they usually get just because everyone would have an opportunity to bag a bird at start time instead of just those that are willing to break the law. And the "followers" (the ones that shoot early after the first shot - yes, its still illegal even if you didn't start it) are just as guilty. Come on, at SJ there's a clock at the check station linked to the atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado that is accurate to within one second over 200 million years. That is the correct time! Set your watches! Your cell phone gets its time directly from your cell phone service. It's pretty accurate too. Hell, set an alarm on the cell to go off at start time. How hard is that? There is no excuse for shooting early except for being an inconsiderate slob that doesn't mind screwing up things for others. :smiley-soapbox:

Ok, off the soap box...

j_m_vasquez

Reaction score
DIDO. I dont even grab my shotgun until shot time. Hell I still had a cup of coffee in my hand when that fist shot rang out. I was sitting there drinking a cup and watching three large sized ducks (I identified one as a drake pintail) swimming in my decoys when that dam shot rang out. Immediately after the shot, two of the three flew off. Then the additional shot came and there went the third, followed by a huge flight of teal that were scared off from the pond behind us. Really sucks to know I could have had a mallard in my decoys (I will never know). Hell theres hardly enough light to tell if they are ducks at that hour; what the hell are people thinking. I bet you the coot count come from those guys who shoot early.

Brown Trout

Reaction score
I believe it was 6:07 by my cell when that first shot went off. My 11yr old grabbed his shotgun and I told him to put it down. He argued that he could see the birds and could have got one. I told him it was not legal and if he kept complaining we would pack up and not shoot anything. Our blind was very slow at first (first shot taken after 7am and I heard grumbling under his breath) but picked up as the day when on. As others left their blinds about 10 and the breeze picked up so did the shooting. By 1:30 we had limits. 1 gadwall, 3 spoonies, and 10 teal, First time we have come home with more than three birds between us. A big thank you to Tom for pushing us to that blind.

David

shadowlawnskysthelimit

Reaction score
QUOTE (Brown Trout @ Dec 30 2011, 10:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356651
I believe it was 6:07 by my cell when that first shot went off. My 11yr old grabbed his shotgun and I told him to put it down. He argued that he could see the birds and could have got one. I told him it was not legal and if he kept complaining we would pack up and not shoot anything. Our blind was very slow at first (first shot taken after 7am and I heard grumbling under his breath) but picked up as the day when on. As others left their blinds about 10 and the breeze picked up so did the shooting. By 1:30 we had limits. 1 gadwall, 3 spoonies, and 10 teal, First time we have come home with more than three birds between us. A big thank you to Tom for pushing us to that blind.

David

BrownTrout, glad to here you are teaching your son about the right and ethical standards while chasing the quackers. Dont sweat his grumblings, when he is older he will look back at those times spent together and think; "My Dad was an honorable man"!! Keep it up!!

MarshRat

Reaction score
I agree. I do not even LOAD my gun until shoot time. What is the big, darn hurry anyway? The early shooters think that they won't have any more ducks fly their way that day? I wish there was a way to report someone but you would have to have proof, which is hard. Also hard to make a "citizen's arrest" when everyone is armed. Glad to see most of you all had a good shoot day.

dylan

News Maker
Reaction score
QUOTE (MarshRat @ Dec 30 2011, 03:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356671
I do not even LOAD my gun until shoot time.

I agree with not shooting until shoot time actually starts but how come you don't load before? I don't want to have a big ole mallard land in my decoys 2 minutes before shoot time and then once shoot time happens I start to load my gun, click, next thing you know duck goes bye bye. I want to be ready when the time is right :smiley-devil:

weekender21

Reaction score
QUOTE (John Segoria @ Dec 29 2011, 08:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356376

Great job on the Canvas Back. That is one tough brid to get down here. Did the birds decoy in for you guys or was it pass shooting as well?

John

Mainly pass shooting, they didn't really want to land in our spread until the wind picked up....then it was easy. I called the canvasback in with a mallard call. He was interested enough to fly over our spread looking but wasn't committed when I shot him.

Reaction score
QUOTE (fish dog @ Dec 29 2011, 08:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356380
Come on, at SJ there's a clock at the check station linked to the atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado that is accurate to within one second over 200 million years.

Clocks haven't been around for 200 million years......sorry Charlie.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
QUOTE (duckkillerclyde @ Jan 1 2012, 02:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356960
Come on, at SJ there's a clock at the check station linked to the atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado that is accurate to within one second over 200 million years.

But in this ever changing world, isn't it nice to know that on every shoot day for the next 200 million years, the SJ Checkstation clock will be accurate?

Reaction score
QUOTE (John Segoria @ Dec 28 2011, 08:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356293
We hunted San Jacinto today on a very low draw. It was primarily pass shooting on Teal which I really suck at. I killed two that decoyed and the rest were pass shots. My brother and our buddy shot very well. We were one short of triple limits. They really did not want to decoy for us. We tried everything. Mostly Teal with a Wigeon and some Spoonies mixed in. Not bad for a non-windy and clear weather type of day. Someone actually shot 15 minutes before shoot time and the sky busting was out of control. The birds were very skittish if any rounds went off within ear shot. Tom, we should be back in a week or two on another draw.

Night all. I am beat.

John

15 minutes early, sky busting, welcome to public hunting. No matter how much Tom coaches the guys in the morning you just can't control the masses. The sky busting gets worse as the morning goes by, desperation shots.

And this is not unique to San J, Wister in my opinion is worse.

fish dog

Reaction score
QUOTE (DKScott @ Jan 1 2012, 03:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356963
QUOTE (duckkillerclyde @ Jan 1 2012, 02:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356960

But in this ever changing world, isn't it nice to know that on every shoot day for the next 200 million years, the SJ Checkstation clock will be accurate?

Well, some have trouble understanding scientific concepts but, even if they are still hunting at SJ in 200 million years, there will still be idiots shooting early and there will still be skybusters. As far as skybusters, I don't know how you can prevent that because, at least as far as I know, skybuysting isn't illegal (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that and show us the law that covers it). On the other hand, early shooting is illegal. I just wish they would get a Warden out there at start time and catch a few of these ding-dongs. If they'd just write a couple tickets word would get around and I'll bet the early shooting would drop off fast.

weekender21

Reaction score
I agree, people are going to take long, high, shots. Especially when ducks are not interested in landing near their blind. Shooting 15 minutes before first shot on the other hand is ridiculous. I'm surprised the warden isn't out there writing tickets on shoot day. I've never heard a shot that early, that was my first time hunting San Jacinto though...

gab909

Reaction score
[/quote]

15 minutes early, sky busting, welcome to public hunting. No matter how much Tom coaches the guys in the morning you just can't control the masses. The sky busting gets worse as the morning goes by, desperation shots.

And this is not unique to San J, Wister in my opinion is worse.
[/quote]

I have to disagree, Wister is not worse, as a matter of fact, The first shot at Wister came about 3 minutes after shoot time. The clubs and sea on the other hand, tend to shoot a little early. I think that has to do with the fact that they have birds. Wister doesn't have enough birds to shoot early. yesterday I didn't fire my gun until 9:30, and today, It was 7:40.

fish dog

Reaction score
QUOTE (gab909 @ Jan 1 2012, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357009
Wister doesn't have enough birds to shoot early. yesterday I didn't fire my gun until 9:30, and today, It was 7:40.

SJ doesn't have enough birds to shoot at after someone shoots early at them...they all disappear after that.

Reaction score
Here in Oregon, opening day was about 10 minutes early and after that, I haven't heard an early shot.

I guess if you're hunting a spot that isn't worth hunting if someone shoots early, it's not really worth hunting.