Salton Sea toxic

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
They just appointed someone to “study” the option of bringing in sea water. Southey just had the stunning realization that the sea was there before we accidentally refilled it.
For some reason, people seem to think time starts when we arrive. If not for us damming the Colorado river, the sea might be fifty feet deep right now. By controlling the river, we keep it from changing course, and filling the Salton Sink as it did periodically through history.
We happily built a canal system to drain the water from the river, we owe it to the Sea and to the wildlife to maintain the Salton Sea.
I remember a local tv person interviewing the head of the Sonny Bono Salton Sea wildlife refuge many years ago. He was dismissive Of the value of the Sea, saying the geese do not use it. Not a big help in my view.
NIMBY runs deep in the souls of humans, and it goes both ways. People don’t want prisons in their neighborhoods, and people not living near the Sea, don’t value it.
So we will “study” it again.

fish dog

Reaction score
They just appointed someone to “study” the option of bringing in sea water. Southey just had the stunning realization that the sea was there before we accidentally refilled it.
For some reason, people seem to think time starts when we arrive. If not for us damming the Colorado river, the sea might be fifty feet deep right now. By controlling the river, we keep it from changing course, and filling the Salton Sink as it did periodically through history.
We happily built a canal system to drain the water from the river, we owe it to the Sea and to the wildlife to maintain the Salton Sea.
I remember a local tv person interviewing the head of the Sonny Bono Salton Sea wildlife refuge many years ago. He was dismissive Of the value of the Sea, saying the geese do not use it. Not a big help in my view.
NIMBY runs deep in the souls of humans, and it goes both ways. People don’t want prisons in their neighborhoods, and people not living near the Sea, don’t value it.
So we will “study” it again.
Up until about 1580, the Salton Sea was part of what scientists called Ancient Lake Cahuilla. It covered about 2200 sq. miles (the Salton Sea covers about 343 sq miles). It dried up back then and was the Salton Sink up until 1905. (I wonder how we caused the global warming that dried it up in 1580...campfires maybe?) In 1905 a broken dike from the Colorado River flooded into it for two years creating the Salton Sea. I'm glad to hear someone is looking into getting seawater in there. Freshwater would be better but that's all spoken for and then some so that'll never happen. I don't know how they're going to pull it off but they'd likely have to pipe it in from the Gulf of Calfornia which would be around a 140-mile pipeline and who knows how many pump stations AND (maybe the biggest hurdle) an agreement from Mexico. (depiction of Ancient Lake Cahuilla below)
53f81778b5a16.image.jpg

Last edited:

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
They sure had no problem building canals all over the place to water the crops. We owe it to nature to provide water to the Sea.
If we brought fresh water in, it would become salty, but less so than with ocean water. Ocean ware would really be fine, as it is far less salty than the Salton Sea has been for at least decades.
The salt there comes from deposits left by Ancient Lake Cahuilla , as well as residual salts in agricultural runoff. Many fertilizers are salt based, and build up in soil and have to be leached out. The result was the Salton Sea was many times (I have read ten times up to a hundred times) saltier than the Pacific.