S.J. Today

sportyg

Reaction score
Every thing went as expected NOT.... :smiley_rotflmao: Had #10 draw. Tom put Bob & I in a great blind. (Thanks Tom). We got out and I set out the deeks. Someone did shart shooting about 8 minutes early not unexpected. Ducks were flying every where. But we held off until shooting time. Missed the first few. (first time out this season and my shooting was way off) About 7 AM Bob knoxs one down he goes out to get it and has a fall. :afraid_face: I also down one a few minutes later but he swims away I couldn't get a follow up shot due to some tullies. Poor Bob is really cold due to the wind. Bob downs another only he does not kill it. He shoots at it two more times. Then he decides he needs to ajust his choke, He was shooting a Mossburg with a poly-choke. He sets his choke to what he things it should be. About 15 minutes go by and a single duck flys by I tell Bob to take him. I see a splash a couple of yards out but don't see the duck in the water. Next thing I know Bob has lost his choke. He ask If I think he should shoot with out a choke, I told him I wouldn't, but then I have never used a shotgun with a poly-choke. So poor Bob just sits there wet & cold. Findly he says he going back to the suv to get warm. Bob is gone about 45 minutes there was no ducks flying at that time anyway. When I see him coming back I figure he is ready to leave but no he says I came back to watch you hunt. But I tell him No, your going to shoot. As he has not hunted ducks in 20+ years. So I give him my shotgun and I spoted for him until 11 AM when we packed it in. During that time he took one bird. As we were leaving the birds took to the air again. All in All we didn't shoot well as there was lots of ducks. I missed ten shots. Not sure how many Bob missed. Even with his misadventures we had a grand time and he wants to return. He is even applying for a res for the rest of the season... Fun times just begining... :smiley-clappin-yellow:

gab909

Reaction score
Way to go, sounds like a great time. It's not all about killing birds!

Robertyak

Reaction score
Went to work very early got a few things done and left by 9:00 got home loaded up and made it to SJ by 11:00 signed up and waited mixed straps coming in ranging from full limits to 1 ruddy I kept watching the board and the list finally there was only one group in front and me and as luck would have it two groups came in both with limits I singed up and got back in the truck at just after 1:00. The wind was howling and as I walked up the dike I could see birds sitting right around the blind they bailed as I walked got to the blind and set decoys the whole time birds were swirling around with the wind the were buzzing....against the wind it looked like they were standing still....and sideways to the wind they were being pushed. First seven shots accomplished nothing but holes in the sky.... :smiley-bag-on-head: . Thirteen shots later we were done :D :smiley-dancin-red:

SJ1109.jpg

Lots of fun and a happy dog!!!

Old Quack 49

Reaction score
Nice job and I'm glad the dog is happy . Takes a commitment to work early and bust your butt to get out and then make it happen . I was jealous at work and I'm self employed , ha ha . Old Quack 49

Robertyak

Reaction score
It was a fun afternoon Larry, sorry you were not able to get out.

ElMatavenados

Reaction score
My buddy invited me to join him on his #31 reservation at SJ. Surprisingly, he got a blind in the area he wanted. Ducks were flying thick before shooting time. After LST, we were able to score on a couple right away, and then it slowed down. Later in the morning, we had a flight of redheads fly by, and we managed to connect with three of them. Total bag was 2 ringnecks, 1 gwt, 3 redheads, 1 spoonie, 1 gadwall, and 3 coots.

SanJacinto02.jpg

SanJacinto01.jpg

just_ducky_1

Reaction score
Hell yeah!!! Finally someone with balls enough to post cooters!!! Well done sir. :smiley-faces-toast-beers: :banana-man-yeah:

dylan

News Maker
Reaction score
:Reagan-hittin-head-ani:

Big Sal

Reaction score
QUOTE (sportyg @ Nov 11 2011, 06:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348367
Well done.. San Jacinto looks to be a hot spot this season. Ducks all over the place early in the season Oh So NICE..

:huh: Not even close to warm if you ask me! After the DHWW shoot early the sky is empty :smiley-shakehead-blue:

fish dog

Reaction score
QUOTE (GroundPounder @ Nov 12 2011, 08:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348393
Well done.. San Jacinto looks to be a hot spot this season. Ducks all over the place early in the season Oh So NICE..

:huh: Not even close to warm if you ask me! After the DHWW shoot early the sky is empty :smiley-shakehead-blue:

Yeah, I can almost vouch for that. I wouldn't call them "empty" but sparse might be a better word. I've gone four times this year and have 4 birds to show for it. Of course I've had to sweatline it and haven't got the best blinds, and, although I hate to admit it but I've actually missed a few although If I was a perfect shot I'd probably only have about 8 or 9 for the 4 trips so far. The only time I've seen a lot of birds is just before shoot time when the idiots open up early and then they're gone. Last time we got drawn down far on the sweatline, in fact we may have just opted to go early on the refill list if we could have stayed, but we had to leave by 9:30, so it was that on nothing. We took a blind in the middle of everyone and although we saw several birds most of them were dropping to the surrounding blinds before they could get to us. If you get the hot blind for the day you'll probably do okay but there still aren't massive numbers yet IMHO.

just_ducky_1

Reaction score

:delete-button: :smiley-laugh-point-up-yellow: