Rusty shotgun

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
Late last year I let one of the creeps take my precious Beretta shotgun on a hunt with some friends with the promise that he'd clean it and put it away. I was in the safe last night and I came across it, there was a nice orange rust all over the dang thing. Best I could do was about 2 hours of solvent on a rag and then oiling it but it's definitely not perfect. I ran out of time and had to get some sleep for a meeting today. Anybody got a recipe for how to get this thing right? Bonus points if it includes putting a shell into the offending creep.

[email protected]

Reaction score
found this on brownells:
OXPHO-BLUE

You're on your own with the creep. Good luck! To him that is.

Ducky's Dad

Reaction score
2 hours of solvent on a rag
Hard to advise without knowing more, but I'd probably skip the solvent and the rag. Go to the supermarket and get one or a pack of the stainless steel scouring pads. Not pads for scouring stainless steel, but pads made of stainless steel. Then hit the gun with the stainless pads and good old oil, anything from 3-In-1 to something like CLP. The stainless pad is softer than the bluing but harder than the rust. Should remove all surface rust without damaging the remaining bluing. Don't laugh. This is how Ivory Beads used to clean up their old megabucks guns.

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, all.