Road issues and opening day

BJJ223

Just read about a some road issues (migrating mud pot) that could effect Waterfowl opening day

https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-11/district-11-news/20190904-d11news-sr11detourmudpot?fbclid=IwAR0U1a8_AA1Ro4QeCuf6ED22u3ZhZjqvG608BrLW-kS1C3WhmN_d5Y3BqmY

They talk about a 100 mile shutdown in this video

https://www.kyma.com/news/highway-111-to-shutdown-due-to-migrating-geyser/1118046559?fbclid=IwAR3HrUmedYg9bwDde--_a8pg-9biZV0NNqYogt8NVjV3Ks6pOu-n39p5bKQ

You can even see the Wister sign in the video. Davis and Gillespie - anyone have additional information?

crab

Mineral Hot Springs to the canal.
Canal down towards Niland.
Any dirt road of your choice to Davis Road.
Easy Peasy.
I'd be more concerned about the Wister check station and parking lot.
What happens when they have to close it down, or just fill the parking lot with
construction equipment ?
Lots of drama yet to be played out.

We were down this past Saturday the 7th. Nephew notice a Pile Driver sitting in between 111 and the railroad tracks just a few feet south of Wister's entrance. On the way home the North side of 111 was closed, with the Driver now sitting in the Northbound lane.
Workers were stopping traffic in each direction to allow cars from both directions to pass rig. When the rig was sitting at 90 degrees to the highway his ass end was hanging out into Southbound lane a couple of feet.

The Pile Driver was hammering away at long steel plates about 3 feet wide x 20-30' long, shaped like hat channel. It appeared that each piece overlapped each other to create a wall; there was a whole bunch of those plates sitting next to the highway.

Doesn't look or sound good !! Over the last 47 years I have seen a lot of places around the see become inaccessible due to Mother Natures plan. Could very easily take over Check Station, campground and both Closed Zones and more before its done !!

slinky_70

mudslinger said:
If the mud pot is migrating west, why don't they reroute the 111 to the east?
That would make to much sense. Put in a crossing guard over the tracks and build the road further east.

crab

shadowlawnskysthelimit said:
We were down this past Saturday the 7th. Nephew notice a Pile Driver sitting in between 111 and the railroad tracks just a few feet south of Wister's entrance. On the way home the North side of 111 was closed, with the Driver now sitting in the Northbound lane.
Workers were stopping traffic in each direction to allow cars from both directions to pass rig. When the rig was sitting at 90 degrees to the highway his ass end was hanging out into Southbound lane a couple of feet.

The Pile Driver was hammering away at long steel plates about 3 feet wide x 20-30' long, shaped like hat channel. It appeared that each piece overlapped each other to create a wall; there was a whole bunch of those plates sitting next to the highway.

Doesn't look or sound good !! Over the last 47 years I have seen a lot of places around the see become inaccessible due to Mother Natures plan. Could very easily take over Check Station, campground and both Closed Zones and more before its done !!
Yep, drove by there twice. Pile driver hadn't arrived at Sat 4:30 am, was there when heading home later in the day though.

Modoc

chessie said:
If the mud pot is migrating west, why don't they reroute the 111 to the east?
Pretty sure the Union Railroad tracks get in the way
Ugh! Dealing with the Railroad? Almost as bad as the costal commission or state water boards.

Sounds like they are driving sheet piles to excavate behind. Moving the road nay sound good, but there are a LOT of factors that come into play. With almost 20 years with CalTrans, I can attest that it’s not an easy task even though it may make sense.

I hope that they have taken the area uses into consideration with this project, but we have become a minority in the Department.

jlauhon

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Crimson Crusher said:
I say wait to see if ya draw the opener, then worry about it.
Well, I'm an optimist. I put in my rezzie list for the Wiz yesterday.

BJJ223

slinky_70 said:
It will become a viewing point to watch the check station being swallowed
The horror! It is amazing how such a crappy building in the middle of no where could have such meaning and memories. That run down shack has been where endless hopes and dreams of hunting success have been born for countless waterfowl seasons.

Duckfan

BJJ223 said:
It will become a viewing point to watch the check station being swallowed
The horror! It is amazing how such a crappy building in the middle of no where could have such meaning and memories. That run down shack has been where endless hopes and dreams of hunting success have been born for countless waterfowl seasons.
So true!

Memories of Wister run deep in our family. It’s where I started my duck hunting career. Love that place