Rimfire Tales

Bishop

Reaction score
Chino, Ca., Mammoth Lakes/Big Bear (part time)
Lets face it. No matter how many guns you own. And how much you like shooting the big bores. Just about everybody loves spending a day with a couple of bricks of .22's. Doesn't matter if your 9 or 90. Just about every hunter starts out with a .22, and still has one or several until the day they die.
No matter how much I love pig hunting, deer hunting, varmint hunting, and bird hunting. I still never turn down the chance to do a little rabbit or ground squirrel hunting with a .rimfire rifle. A Marlin .17HMR gets most of my attention when hunting ground squirrels now days, but a Ruger 10-22 is still my favorite for jump shooting rabbits.
But recently a Henry .22 lever action has been calling my name. Something about growing up with Roy Rogers, John Wayne, and a load of cowboy movies keeps the lever actions in your heart.

Let hear some rimfire tales, and see some pictures of your favorite rimfire rifles and hunts.

pitdog

Old, bald and grumpy
Reaction score
In this hunt last month, Trevor used a Ruger 10-22 with a custom stock provided by Mr. Bishop and sons. I'm not sure how many he shot but they were skinning bunnies for several hours.

Attachments

• P1010078.JPG
    P1010078.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

Arise

Reaction score
Man, the pictures bring up some good memories. 15 years ago, we use to cross the east highline canal and slay the Jacks. Remember that John? It was not uncommon for us to shoot 50-75 of them each time we went out. Sorry but I don't have any pictures.

Cottontail opens up July 1st - right?

We should plan a TOF Bunny event. My .17 HMR is just sitting in it's case. I would love to fill up the freezer w/ Cottontails. We could use my club as a base and even go after the young stupid coyotes if we decided to venture down that way.

Anyone interested?

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
Man, the pictures bring up some good memories. 15 years ago, we use to cross the east highline canal and slay the Jacks. Remember that John? It was not uncommon for us to shoot 50-75 of them each time we went out. Sorry but I don't have any pictures.

We should plan a TOF Bunny event. My .17 HMR is just sitting in it's case. I would love to fill up the freezer w/ Cottontails. We could use my club as a base and even go after the young stupid coyotes if we decided to venture down that way.

Anyone interested?

dont they have worms that time of year?...or is that just ESS!?

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score
My first rifle was a model 60 and it's had a bazillion rounds run through it. It is a lot of fun to play with.

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score

Correct. Limit is 5.

Just cook them really well.

00BuckShot

You can have my guns when you rip them from my col
Reaction score
Looks like fun times. You know, I have a brand new .17HMR that I really need to go out and shoot. Maybe I'll have to do some bunny thumpin'.

Bishop

Reaction score
Chino, Ca., Mammoth Lakes/Big Bear (part time)

There's two types of worms that all small game (rabbits, squirrels, etc) can get. One is a "botsfly" larva, that will grow in the fur/skin. This comes out with skinning, and never really enters the flesh.
The second one that causes tularemia (rabbit fever), is a parasite that can be in the liver and internal organs. And is removed with the guts. It is not real common, and usually occurs with warm weather. Tularemia can be caught while cleaning small game, if you have any cuts or open wounds on your hands. Wearing disposable rubber gloves while cleaning rabbits or squirrels takes away any risk.

JDC

Itchin to pull the trigger
Reaction score
One of my favorite things to do with a 22 is practice quick shot technique.

We go out to the local shooting range where there are plenty of shotgun shells laying all over the ground. Load up a full clip, and start sending shotgun shells flying off into the wild blue yonder! What a kick!

83blazer

Reaction score
If anyone wants to let me in on their place for rabbit or Jack rabbit hunting I will send a case of your favorite drink. I need to take my daughter rabbit hunting. I used to take her over to 25th and Pear Blossom and shoot them their. Last time I had a harrd time shooting them from people's driveways. A lot of development there now. If anyone needs company just let me know.
Thanks fellas.