Retriever

Limited Out

Reaction score
Here are a couple of thoughts on that new Lab. I am on my third Lab right now and have some experience with the breed. First of all I am no expert on this, but here are a few ideas. The breed has been inbred to some degree and some breeders put profit ahead of quality. I have a male right now that is going on two. I got this dog for free, from a third party, at 10 weeks old because the breeder discovered this dog had a heart murmur and was going to put the dog down. This is a great looking dog, you just know he came from some good lines. The breeder didn't want anyone to know where the dog came from so that is why the use of a third party. In the past this breeder just put the puppies down so no one would know that his line threw puppies with heart murmurs. This dog also had genetic elbow dysplasia in addition to the heart murmur. I knew this going in and decided to take the dog anyway. I am not much for blaming others for problems. The point I am trying to make is that some of these breeders would rather put the puppies down than stop breeding the parents. Make sure you get some form of guarantee from the breeder. Most of these breeders will replace the dog, I would ask them to replace the dog plus 25% of the purchase price if the dog has any genetic problems. If they get reluctant about a monetary guarantee, this would be a red flag to me. Make sure to get the OFA reports on the parent's hips and elbows. The dog I have now has turned out to be my best Lab so far after about 4k of medical treatments. He hunts twice a month. He still won't live much beyond 5 years according to the vet, due to his heart murmur. He is a wonderful dog and I think Labs are super dogs! Good Luck with finding a great dog.

Aeon

Reaction score
Join the "Hunting, Hunt Test & Field Trial Labradors" group on Facebook. Like it or not it's where breeders do biz now. Expect to pay 1k+ for good and 2k for exceptional pups. All the litters posted have to have extended clear histories. I just got a pup from flatlander kennels in Nebraska :)

sloth1833

Reaction score
I know of a small breeder for British Labs in MT. They are more of a private breeder. From what I can tell the British Black Labrador is a great breed. I gave been looking at them for years, I am probably going to go that route. I would definitely say they are worth an honest look before pulling the trigger on a lab.

American outlaw

Reaction score
Do your research,get a good quality pup from a great breeder.Make sure all the health testing has been done on the parents and get a 26 .month guarantee.The huge health issue I see is EIC,make sure the dog is not affected with these genes.Nothing worse to see then a EIC seizure while out in the field.a simple $50 test every breeder should do.