Reminder/Camp Cady/Guzzler Repair 2009

BIGCIM

Reaction score
To all,

February project which will be at Camp Cady, February 20, 21 and 22. I will be on site by 10 am on Friday but you can show up at anytime. There is going to be plenty to do and we are hoping we can match the 41 volunteers that attended the last work party at this location.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Camp Cady is run completely by volunteers. I was asked to send out this request for anyone who wants to volunteer their time as acting caretaker. What is needed, volunteers to come out and spend time at Camp Cady, anywhere from two days too two weeks. The volunteers can bring their own RV or can stay in the caretakers house. The house has all the amenities. If anyone would like to volunteer or have any questions please contact me by email [email protected] or 760-326-2935, time is of the essence. Cliff

Camp Cady is a F&G compound located only 34 miles from Barstow and consisting of over 2000 acres with a pre 1910 horse barn, bunkhouse, cow and hay barn, caretakers house along with several other out buildings. This facility is used for youth pheasant hunts, hunter safety courses, dove and small game hunts along with the sheep hunters clinic, plus this area is used to store most of the equipment needed for Water for Wildlife, Sheep Society and Quails Unlimited. This area is a wildlife boundary area which is habitat for the protected Mojave Towhee Chub, the Mojave Ground Squirrel along with hawks, howls and many other species. This area does contains a couple species of rattlesnake including the sidewinder, so watch your step along with your pets.

There is a bunkhouse that has eight bunks, showers, restrooms and kitchen, plus there is four, 20 amp, six 30 amp, and one 50 amp RV sites with water that are available to the volunteers, plus plenty of tent areas. I have some goodies for Sat night raffle.

Directions:

For those who have not been to Camp Cady, take Interstate 15 through Barstow and head east. Get off the freeway at Harvard Road, and turn South (right) Follow Harvard Road a short distance, and when you start down into a large wash, the milo field will be on your right, and Camp Cady on your left. Just at the top of the South side of the wash, you will see a Camp Cady sign, turn left on the dirt road and follow it to the Camp. If you get lost, call 760-257-0900.

What is needed for this project; Electrical, plumbing, framing, concrete and lots of shovel work.

One of the major projects is building 300' of wind break at the main entrance.
Electrical, hook up generator to caretaker house, install outdoor lights and hook up compressor
Plumbing, install sprinkler system by removing galvanized piping and replace with 3/4" PVC pipe around bunkhouse, rough in plumbing for small bathroom, install new swamp cooler and work on cooler vents in bunkhouse.
Framing, frame out small bathroom, sheetrock and hang door.
Concrete, pour two 4x5 slabs......if you can bring a bag or two of 60/80 lb ready mix concrete.

I know there are several more projects that will come up and I really need to have a good count of how many people will attend. We need this info for the work organization and food preparation. Food, breakfast Saturday and Sunday, lunch, Saturday and Sunday, dinner Friday and Saturday. If anyone would like to help with food preparation please let me know, we could use the with food preparation on this project.

The last project was an enormous success and the CA Dept of Fish & Game very much appreciated the work done by all you folks.

Just for everyone's info if any person would like to volunteer their time on any other given day, they can contact Tom Smith, 562-427-6800 or 310-701-2222 or Bruce Kenyon, 805-526-2073 and they will gladly work it out for you. There will always be projects and maintenance that needs to be done on this 2100 acre CDF&G compound.

The dates for our guzzler repair projects will be March 20, 21 and 22 at Goffs area- April 17, 18 and 19 and May 1, 2 and 3 will be at Jerry and Neal's property off of Landfair Road. I realize these last two are close but I have to coordinate these projects with our cooks schedule because we all know it is not as much fun without our cooks. On these projects we will be working around Lanfair Valley area. We also have three or four springs on the agenda for this coming year.

As always, please know I truly appreciate all your hard work and efforts with these projects that enable us to preserve water for wildlife. Hope to see you at Camp Cady, our first project of the year.

Thanks go out to Safari Club, Los Angeles chapter for donating $500.00 towards the efforts at Camp Cady.

Best Regards

Cliff McDonald
760-326-2935

[email protected]

Reaction score
I will commit to the 20th but can't commit to the other days because I work at the Fort those days. I'll be there shovel in hand and possibly with a tractor. I'll also do some recruiting of locals I know that might wanna help.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
Cancelled:

To All Jan 20, 2008

Despite the time and effort put forth to plan and organize this project as well as the commitment of volunteers, such as yourselves, the head caretaker at Camp Cady sent me an email informing me that the project has been cancelled.

I was not involved in this decision and want each of you to know that I remain committed to the Water for Wildlife projects. The next guzzler/spring repair will be March 20/21/22. I have arranged for us to stay at the Goffs school house area in Goffs. I talked with Dennis Casebiar, and the organization, Friends of the Mojave Trail, is going to allow us to use the facilities at Goffs. I will send out an email the first week of February informing you all of the details. We will have cooks, lots of food, lots of goodies, lots of work and LOTS of fun will be had by all, I guarantee it.

Again I apologize for the Cady cancellation and any inconvenience it may have caused.

Sincerely,

Cliff McDonald
760-326-2935

BIGCIM

Reaction score
I Lyk Fyr and any one else, still try to make it to this one

Bob Campbell's Memorial project
When: January 31st.
Where: Camp Cady. Start time: 8:00 a.m.
What to bring: shovels, rakes, chainsaws, gloves.
Point Person: Lloyd Gunn at: [email protected] , phone: 818-890-1747.

There's a barbecue planned for the afternoon around 4:00 p.m.

I don't know how many of you guys knew Bob. He was great guy, who did a tremendous amount for the wildlife which he loved. He even gave me the Browning over/under my father is holding in my avatar. Come on out its sure to be a great time.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I'm glad that I checked on an update to see who was gonna join us..... I didn't get the notice about the memorial..... I worked that day anyways I think. Well, I'll keep checking on places that need repairs that are fairly local.

Keep safe ya' all.....