release exotics for fire prevention??

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
i have a question... rem no such thing as a dumb question..lol

seeing as california has such a problem with wild fires and over growth why dont they release some type of exotics. it would clear some of the over growth reducing fire and eventually we the hunters could control numbers with hunting. wouldnt that work or would that put to much of a strain on ecosystem and deer populations?

Skeet

buck feaver
Reaction score
We used to let cattle, and sheep graze but that got put to a stop. I know the biologest that used to work on a local forest was trying to get grazing started again but got shot down by something stupid.

pbrdog

Reaction score
I heard a few years ago, they took a bunch of goats off of San Clemente Island and put them in the mountains for just that purpose. Has anyone else heard of this? And if so, what happened to them?

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!
Reaction score
sure would be nice to be able to hunt exotic weed eaters someday...lol i would also think it would increase revenue for dfg.

karstic

Reaction score
Bad, bad, bad idea. Our deer heard is in such bad shape thats all we need is for a non-native species to give it competition. There are many examples were exotics were introduced into a system and had unseen detrimental effects.
We have to emphasize with the USFS, CDF, BLM, NPS, etc the need for fire in our local ecosystems. These systems evolved with fire and need fire to be healthy.

JDC

Itchin to pull the trigger
Reaction score
We have to emphasize with the USFS, CDF, BLM, NPS, etc the need for fire in our local ecosystems. These systems evolved with fire and need fire to be healthy.

Great point- but with the Ca. landscape polka dotted with structures and roads- at what cost will this happen? As so many land management organizations have discovered in the last 10 years or so, lightening caused fires which are supposed to burn very slow, can in fact get way out of control (Yellowstone). And controlled burns also can have devistating effects (Ariz. and N.M)

If memory serves me correctly, it was a lightening caused fire that burned across Washington, Oregon, Idaho and hit Montana before they could slow it down that caused the current fire policy (cir. 1930's) of if it's on fire put it out NOW. This line of thought is clearly changing and attempts to adapt to the times and needs of the population and environment are trying to be balanced.

I heard a few years ago, they took a bunch of goats off of San Clemente Island and put them in the mountains for just that purpose

When my Dad worked for the CNF during a time when environmental freaks didn't rule the planet, they were using herds of goats to eat excess vegatation. I'm pretty sure my Dad said they had one herd that was eating up to 5 acres a day.

Apparently, this practice is still silently being used in some of the forest/BLM areas of So. Ca. When the big fire that made a run on Big Bear 4 years ago (approx) the fire over ran some herds of goats that were being used to eat away vegetation and bbq'd them on the spot. Last year I saw a report in the SD U.T. that the practice of using goats again was being explored.

I"m sure if I mis quoted any of this, Maverick or some of our other fine fire personnel will set the record straight.

00BuckShot

You can have my guns when you rip them from my col
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I would thing that the idea of introducing a non-naitive herbovore would be detrimantal. It would also intoduce additional problems caused by the lack of vegitation, like possible landslides and pushing out naitive species.

Just my $0.02

karstic

Reaction score
When my Dad worked for the CNF during a time when environmental freaks didn't rule the planet, they were using herds of goats to eat excess vegatation. I'm pretty sure my Dad said they had one herd that was eating up to 5 acres a day.

Apparently, this practice is still silently being used in some of the forest/BLM areas of So. Ca. When the big fire that made a run on Big Bear 4 years ago (approx) the fire over ran some herds of goats that were being used to eat away vegetation and bbq'd them on the spot. Last year I saw a report in the SD U.T. that the practice of using goats again was being explored.

I"m sure if I mis quoted any of this, Maverick or some of our other fine fire personnel will set the record straight.

In this instance though the goats are controlled. They're not released into the wild to reproduce on their own.

outdoorplay

Founder
Reaction score
and we love that about you :beer-toast: :smiley-bowdown-purple: