recommendations on a new GPS

duck-boy

Reaction score
Well my OLD Magellan GPS has finally died.

I'm looking for a waterproof and fairly inexpensive unit to use out hunting/fishing. Any recommendations would be appreciated

Reaction score
I've had a Rhino 130 for about 10 years now. Maybe more. It made me think it was broke about 4 months ago when the thing couldn't find any satellites but now it seems to do fine. Easy to use. It has been fully submerged for hours, been through salt water, sat in a moist box for weeks on end... It burns the batteries, 3 AAA, but other than that, I've been really impressed. The screen on mine is scratched pretty bad now but I haven't ever taken care of it.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
I have a Rino 530 and it works as advertised, but the screen is small, the battery is huge and I'm not loving the swiss army knife approach to things anymore. I have been looking around and the Garmin Oregons seem pretty good. Bigger screen and they use AA batteries, so you can carry spares. For as much as I use the radio (never), it would be easier to just carry a separate one. All the other stuff you can get in a watch.

paulc

Reaction score
Garmin Oregon is the one to buy these days. That will be my next upgrade. I have three 76Cx. They are indestructible, but, I am looking forward to the Oregons bigger screen when I finally decide to pony up.

photohunter

Reaction score
I had a bulky garmin 16 for years. Switched to the Oregon last year and it's pretty nice.

duck-boy

Reaction score
Thanks all. Looking at an Oregon 550T for $285. Looks like the 650 is the latest an greatest

Tagout

Reaction score
I use to have a rino 530 for the last 5 years, now have a oregon 550t. I love this gps. Lots of great features

drew10

Reaction score
+1 on the Oregon 550t. Picked it up from Cabela's in September for damn near 50% off. I'm guessing a new model is on its way.

Tagout

Reaction score
drew10, after checking out my buddys last year, I jumped on the same deal you got. I want to get the google earth overlay...I think it's called the birdseye view.

sdhunter

Reaction score
I just bought the Oregon 450, off of ebay for $150-ish if my memory serves me correctly (brand new, not factory refurbished). I lost my etrex legend, needed something quickly, I like it so far!
I use it on the trail and on my boat to navigate at zero-dark-thirty.