Recommend a spinning reel

karstic

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new ultralight spinning reel for trout fishing in the Sierras. I'm looking to spend between $50-$100.

Any recommendations or any reels to stear clear of?

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Reaction score
QUOTE (10greenheads @ Mar 7 2010, 03:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=254246
rarely have any problems with shimano

I agree! Shimano has a wide range of reliable well constructed spinning reels from ultra light to heavy salt water equipment. Model pricing ranges from very affordable to mega bucks. For my ultra light equipment, I use Sustain models and for all other applications I use the Stradic series. No matter which series, I'd suggest the "1000" models for ultra light. The "1000s" are perfect for 2 to 4 lb test line.

hntnnut

Reaction score
Another vote for schimano. I'm still running a 12 year old Spyrex 500 that has seen a LOT of use including 40-50 fish in the 5-10 lb range. I've also looked at some of the upper-end daiwa spinners and the seem to be very smooth.

Richard

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
Shimano Symetre...around $100...in the 1,000 series. Just bought my first one last year. The new reels are amazing. I've always been a shimano guy, and hadn't purchased a new one for about 12 years. Man...what a difference. Now I have 2.

DKScott

EWB
Reaction score
I still use my Mitchell 308 I bought new in about 1972. Guys actually come up to me while I'm fishing tell me I shouldn't be using it and offer to buy it as a collectible. Then I tell 'em I also have the original plastic case and everything that came with it - second deep spool (with case), manual and original tube of grease. About then is when they need CPR. Seriously though, I have a shimano something or other, about the same size, and its a pretty good reel, but I haven't found any new reel that is any better than that old Mitchell. I still use it with the 4 piece Eagle Claw backpack rod I bought to go with it (still have the aluminum case and cloth insert). I'm old school.

DOG ON POINT

Reaction score
QUOTE (DKScott @ Mar 7 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=254317
I still use my Mitchell 308 I bought new in about 1972. Guys actually come up to me while I'm fishing tell me I shouldn't be using it and offer to buy it as a collectible. Then I tell 'em I also have the original plastic case and everything that came with it - second deep spool (with case), manual and original tube of grease. About then is when they need CPR. Seriously though, I have a shimano something or other, about the same size, and its a pretty good reel, but I haven't found any new reel that is any better than that old Mitchell. I still use it with the 4 piece Eagle Claw backpack rod I bought to go with it (still have the aluminum case and cloth insert). I'm old school.

sweet!!! I still have a couple of old mitchel from when I was a kid (back in the early 70's). Things work great.
oh yea... about the reels. Schimono. try the Del Mar Fred Hall show and see if you can score a deal... (careful though, if you go fly you'll never go back)...

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"
Reaction score
I still use my Mitchell 308 I bought new in about 1972.

Ya need to run that reel by the "what's it worth" guy at Bassmaster. Maybe it ought to be in a museum. :unsure:

KILLWHITEY

Reaction score
I like the Diawa SS700.Great reel and will last a very long time :2:

karstic

Reaction score
QUOTE (DOG ON POINT @ Mar 7 2010, 05:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=254339

sweet!!! I still have a couple of old mitchel from when I was a kid (back in the early 70's). Things work great.
oh yea... about the reels. Schimono. try the Del Mar Fred Hall show and see if you can score a deal... (careful though, if you go fly you'll never go back)...

After paying $10 to park and $15 to get in the door I don't think it'll be much of a deal.

chopper

Reaction score
I have a couple 20 year old Shimano stradics(1000) models that have given me no problems, should be able to find some brand new ones on e-bay for around a hundred bucks, if you keep em out of the mud, dirt, sand, etc. youll have em forever!

karstic

Reaction score
QUOTE (DKScott @ Mar 7 2010, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=254417
Decide what model you want and you can probably get a good deal on e-bay

I've checked fleabay a couple of times and seems like the great majority are retail priced. Very few used ones for sale.

arlow

Reaction score
I like the shimanos as well but have recently been using Quantum Catalyst PTI's and I like them lot also!

STEVE IN SOCAL

Reaction score
I've got my old Mitchell 308 and 300, as well as an Orvis from the 1950's. I like old school, too. They go with my 1956 10 hp Johnson motor and same vintage Sears aluminum boat. Having said that...
The new reels are unbelievable. It's like driving a 1956 pick-up or a modern pick-up. Soooo Sweeeet....

I was using my old Orvis reel this day, and luckily I set it down and picked up my new Shimano before hooking this toad.
Note the old boat and motor...

GetAttachment_008.jpg