Rebuilding Old Glory

BOWUNTR

Here's a photo essay on rebuilding a 30 year old rod for the third time. Don't ask me why I'm doing this when hunting season is in full swing. Ed F

muledeer07

I have a question after removing the clear coat and guide wrapping how much do you sand it smooth before starting the wrapping process over again? Looks awesome, reason I ask I have a couple of 30 year old rods that with new eyes would be bad ass right now. The present eyes just can't handle the braid that is prevalent on all of my reels. And the Contact cement is that also what you're using for the clear coat or is that different. Sorry for all the questions but you got the wheels spinning.

BOWUNTR

I use a skilled razor blade to remove all the old finish and then I sand with different grades of scotch brite. That will remove all the old finish and fix any blems. Then the blank is refinished with a clear coat. The contact cement is to glue the blue and red hypalon together. The clear finish on the thread is a specialized flexible epoxy. I obviously skipped a lot of steps... or there would have been 100 pics. I can help you through the process and show you how to do it. If you are just replacing guides, you can strip the rod and sand it down in less than an hour... it's easier than it seems. I used to do this all the time. Ed F

2rocky

HUMMMPH....Guy must not have any Decoys to rattlecan.... :smiley-ugly-lol-bashing-sign:

Next time you are in my country, you should take a look at my Grandfathers rods in the shed. You can tell me what they are.